1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duelly rear ends

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fulltiltwill, Dec 12, 2005.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

So do any of you chevy gurus know if I can swap my wide duelly rear end that is on my 85 K30 for a narrow one like on a wrecker? If so, how much fabrication?
    Thanks Adam

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

yes, piece of cake. I think only the shock mounts may be different, or that may be just going from SRW to DRW. I've seen it done numerous times, I think it looks cool under a regular fleetside bed. Are you going to change from a dually bed to a fleetside or flatbed? Because if you leave the dually bed on it will look ******** with a narrow rear. Be careful, there are some people on this site who don't believe there are two different width rear axles;>

3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Thanks D. Yes I plan on getting a dump bed.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Works slick--DD is right shock mounts are the only issue--Did the exact swap on a 78 about twenty or so years ago---I put a flat bed on the truck also _ I hear you on the ******** look with leaving the old bed on

5. Detroitdan

There's an old buck around here, has a dually just like mine. For a long time now he has been running it on four wheels, missing the outside rears, of course with the great big fiberglass fenders hanging out a foot and a half away from the inner tires. it looks SO stupid.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I didn't think there were two differnet rear ends, but I guess you learn somthing everyday!

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The wide version used in the pickups is a Dana 70. The narrow version on the cab and chassis is a 14 bolt corporate.... as is the "medium" width version used on the SRW 3/4 and 1 tons.

8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

No it will not work,the frame on a Cab and chasis is narrower if you try to use the axle from a Cab and chasis on a dually pickup the drums won`t even clear the frame.You need an axle from a one ton single wheel pickup.

9. derekbroerse

Huh? That doesn't sound right... how do you know this?

10. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I take it a person can also do the reverse,from a single to a dually?..would that look ****** with a regular bed do you think?..

11. Detroitdan

No, it looks awesome! I love the look of dually wheels tucked under a regular fleetside bed. I've seen it done on fleetside pickups, Blazers and Suburbans, it is definitely cool.

12. Detroitdan

I don't see where the frames are different, at least not on the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups from the era we were talking about. Maybe a cab and chassis of a higher GVW, but I've never seen it on a pickup. I don't think it would make sense to narrow the frame of a cab and chassis more than a pickup, to make room for DRWs, when GM was obviously designing the truck to carry more weight in the first place, hence the DRWs. And as far as I know a cab and chassis is a pickup that doesn't have a bed or dump body or whatever on it yet. I put a narrow track 14 bolt under a 79 1/2 ton, it bolted right in, and it had the deep drums to fit inside Budd wheels. I always wanted to fit a set on there for looks, but I never had the extra money for 6 new wheels and tires. If anyone knows the frame measurements for the 90s SRW and cab and chassis trucks, let me know I'll go out in my driveway and measure my dually to compare. Tuna, if you do have info to support what you are saying, please provide it, I am always interested in learning something new.

13. derekbroerse

The Cab and Chassis rear end, being narrower, can be put under a regular pickup box, though the outer wheels still stick out about 1/2" per side. If you use Bushwacker fender flares to keep them covered, it should still be legal.

You couldn't use the Dana 70HD rear end from a dually pickup with a SRW box, it would look ******** and be totally illegal.

14. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

this is very interesting..since i've no 4wd,i think a dually setup should at least have much more dominance over my current pathetic 2wd..hmm..can info be spilled on expicitly on what to go about doing with my automatic 1988 cheyenne p/u for a conversion or should this be killed as a persuit of activities??

15. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

anyone got any pictures of this swap

16. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

1-tons feature 40.5" perch spacing - whether C&C or pickup, whether SRW or DRW. 3/4-ton is 42.5" spacing. some C&C were 36"

For all you ever wanted to know about the 14 bolt..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

The one I tried to put under my 85 C10 must have been a 36" cuz it was no where close to fitting between the frame rails.Double check your doner axle cuz there are 3 different width one tons.

18. Detroitdan

first time I ever saw a half ton with 1 ton axles, the guy told me that to use the 1 ton rear the perches had to be moved, whereas if you take one from a 3/4 it will bolt right up and is otherwise the exact same rearend. I thought someone told me the spring pack was beneath the framerail on the 1 ton, as opposed to outside it like 1/2 and 3/4 tons. But I put a narrow DRW axle under my 79 1/2 ton and everything lined up. So either there were a lot of different rearends, or that one I had may have had the backing plates and brakes swapped before I got it. But I know I took it out of a 3/4 ton and I didn't move any perches. Anyway, Tuna makes a good point. Measure the donor truck. Or as I like to say, measure once and cut twice.
    I must be getting old. It's been a while since I've cut up and rebuilt an older truck.

19. YooperBob

YooperBob Junior Member

I've got an '85 1-ton dually, do you want me to get some measurements for you?