1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duelly GMC 1980 need better traction

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chefboyrd, Nov 25, 2006.

1. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a 1980 GMC 1 ton duelly with a reading tool box on it.
    It DOESNOT have 4wd.
    I put a myers plow on it (used) to do my driveway street & possibly some snowed in friends.
    What should I do for better traction? 2 snow tires on back instead of 4 triple plys?
    How much weight should I put in the back.
    Truck has 10,000gvw.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is for doing your driveway only and NOT running on the street:

Studded tires on rear axle.
    About 800 - 1,000 pounds of ballast in the bed.

The problem is not only being a 2wd, which lifts the rear end, but also being a DRW. Having duals causes the tires to "ride up" on the snow. Another trick if you're doing your driveway only - take one tire off each rear dual. This will increase the load to the remaining two tires, with better traction. Check with your highway patrol before going on the road with this, it may be illegal to alter the wheel configuration on that vehicle. One more thing, putting studded tires or snow tires on the rear only may cause braking problems as the back tires will give more traction than the front tires can stop normally.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. chefboyrd

chefboyrd Junior Member

Thanks Mick!

Your advise sounds great!
    I plan on removing 2 back wheels as you suggested.
    I will also put snow tires on the front & rear of the vehiclealong with a 1000lb.
    :salute:

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You could also just air down the inner tires to 20psi, this will shift more weight to the outer wheels, not as good as removing a tire but may be enough with ballast.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you are going to remove the rear tires. go to the junk yard and grab 2 single wheel 8 lug rims. mount the snows on them and grab some std lug nuts wile you are there. then when plow season is done just swap them back . no dis mount and balence all the time.

6. crete5245

crete5245 Member

I have a 77 dually with a 7.5 meyers and a 1.5 cubic yard salter in the back. I put about a ton and a half of salt and sand. I have no problem pushing the 8 to 10 lots that I do. But when the salter get low, traction does go down and I have to refill with salt and sand.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

id throw a set of chains on them

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I use to run a set up like that but it was a ford.
    I use to put a half sheet of 12" steel plate in the back about 5k pounds.
    I ran the normal duel tries.
    The thing to remeber is dont drive up to far into the snow pile, or you'll get stuck and need a little pull to get out.
    Also sometimes you can't takeoff with the plow on the ground, so get a rolling start before dropping your blade.
    It's not a bad set up if you drive right, beside you may need a pull every now and then.

9. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I plan on using my 86 dually dump for snow this year also. I will have to see how it goes. I plan on putiing about 2-3K Lbs in the back

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

what's a triple ply? My tires are ten ply. I wouldn't be afraid of keeping the duals on, as long as they are aggressive, it will let you carry more weight. Of course you'll need more weight to counteract the weight being divided between four tires instead of two. If you balance it right I think the extra biting edges is an advantage. Lots of people around here use 2wd 1 tons, just gotta rely on brains instead of 4wd.

11. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Hey CHEFBOYRD!! Glad you joined the sight. Is the Myer angling back and forth good now. I will come down and take a look at it if you need any more help. Talk to you later, MIKE