1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Duelie vs single rear wheel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hockey511, Oct 2, 2010.

1. hockey511

hockey511 Junior Member
    from Boston

Hello, my transmission just died in my F350 so its time for a new truck. I want to go with a duelie F350 desiel but have heard they are not optimal for plowing because they get stuck. What are your thoughts should I just go with another single rear wheel?

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you just fix the trans in your current F350?

3. hockey511

hockey511 Junior Member
    from Boston

its a 1996 with 200000 miles, the engine knocks and shakes all of the time, Ive already put too much money into the truck.

4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

imean duallys are good for plowing if your in wide open parking lots but if your gonna do driveways then i would forget it around by me there are lots of guys with duallys and they either have wide open big lots or there plowing for the towns or county doing streets but if your doing driveways with a dually you prob will get stuck:drinkup:

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Duallys are great, they don't get stuck easy.

They'll outperform a single in deep snow.

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i have a crew cab long bed 350 srw and its great in open lots. i do some driveways in it and its a pain b/c it feels like an ocean liner. i need to run a lot of ballast and even then with the diesel it likes to spin the rears alot, but when you throw it in 4x4 it really pushes some snow.

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Do you actually have use for the DRW or do you plan on running a large V Box?

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have plowed with my 3500 for 4 seasons now, its a ext cab, dually 4x4 with a 8' wide, 9' long flatbed. I have a 8'6" V plow & 3 yd salter. I wouldn't want to do small city drives with it, but I did plow all our residentials for two years with it, you won't win any races, but rarely in lots do I need 4 wheel, unless salter is empty, I only got it stuck twice in 4 seasons.

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What are you basing your statements on?

Plowing lots in deep snow?
    Plowing driveways in deep snow?
    Plowing streets in deep snow?
    Plowing townhome complexes in deep snow?

Most of snow plowing is in the hands of the driver. A good driver can push the sh*t out of the snow in just about anything. As for the duals, the more surface area you are covering with the footprint of your tires, the less you are cutting down to the pavement where the traction is. Duallys suck when you are moving from lot to lot if you do not have weight in the bed of you truck. They spin out easy.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Phil took the words out of my mouth before I could even quote the same post.

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I carried weight in mine.

On one the deepest wettest snows I can remember, a co-worker in a 3/4 ton with a straight blade was plowing the lot right next to me. Neither of us a slouch...we could see each other. The contest was on...

The dually out performed the single hands down in those conditions. It could carry and move gobs more snow.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

It also can haul Gobs more Beer too.....Great Response.....Someone with real life Experience answering....:salute:

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Assuming that both trucks have a good 1 ton of weight in the back...because dually or not your supost to have balast.

Dually wins. For those that think a single comes close, they are crazy and have little to no real experience with them

Never once been stuck, infact I almost feel as if the dually in4wd is impossible to get stuck. I have high centered my single.

Duallys suck in tight spots, corners, plowing around circles,....other than that..they are good. After all, if they sucked why would cities use 2wd dump trucks with dually

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's simple physics guys, more surface area applies less weight to each tire therefore getting worse traction. 4 wheels does not mean better traction. Duallies are meant to handle more of a load, applying excess weight spread evenly over 4 tires, not to get better traction. It's why a bobtail'd semi won't get out of its own way in the snow.

Now if you're talking ballast, well then obviously they'll hold their own. BUT our SRW F350's never see 4wd, one of my Dmaxes IS 2wd..............the duallies, well the 4x4's are in 4wd most of the time, and the 2wd's won't do sh!t without ballast.

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

On a side note, iv never had a situation hay a dually would out push a single...most of the time the plow fills up well before the weight causes me to spin tires. The difference is get both trucks stuck...see which one gets out first

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've never gotten a plow truck stuck, and don't ever plan to. 2wd, 4wd, dually, SRW.............don't matter.

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

Ever plow a storage facility? Had one, all the snow from the lanes had to go down to the end of a 300 foot run, Then had to be pushed 90 degrees in another direction, to be stacked.... Only 3 ways to do it...

1 skid steer,.... Job didn't pay enough to justify that

2. Two trucks... One in the drive lanes...one at the end of the run pushing the other way... Worked well until the second truck broke down, or got behind on other jobs

3. Push as much as you can in the drive lane to the end of the run...then drive THOUGH the pile you just made.....turn around and push it the other direction......and that my friend is how you can get stuck

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes I have. When I drive through a pile, which is rare, I go through it in v mode ;)

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I love my dually. It plows great, and has a real tight turning radius. It plows mostly residential and has been in some deep snow. Most of whats been posted here about duallys not being good to plow with is bunk!

20. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You aren't trying hard enough. :D