1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

duel battery setup on a ford???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Dec 28, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

anyone have an idea on how to setup duel batteries on a f250.theres know room under the hood for another battery so im kind of stuck in figuring out how to do this.i know they make a kit for chevy but do they make one for ford????

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

Put one in the bed of the truck in an enclosed "marine" type battery box and run long cables to the engine compartment.

3. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with a '91 Ford Bronco. No room under the hood. Any suggestions for me??

4. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

if they can fit a 7.3l diesel under the hood, i would think you could get duels setup w/ a gas engine.

at work we had a 97 350 w/ v-8 and there was alot of room left over. however my personal truck and a majority of our fleet are diesels so i guess i could visualize how to cram a battery in there somewhat easier.

what year is the truck? for a similar year truck have you seen one with a diesel? is it possible to go to your dealer and order the battery wiring harness for a diesel application. it would be a parrallel setup, but again, i'm sure you could order the components for the second battery if you spec'd a diesel engine at the dealership and everything should bolt in place.

the solenoids, master cylinder, power dist. box were all in the same spot on the 97's, only the diesel app. added the second pass. batt. and much more compartment space was taken up by the engine itself. so i don't think you would have much trouble adding a sec. battery.

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

this isn`t a super duty.its a light duty 4.6 97

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Ive run into similar issue on my F250 , Unless I want to spend stupid money on a new intake and washer resivoir / radiator overflow tank to get the batt in the stock position.... I made a bracket to mount it to the frame rail under the truck like most larger dumps have , or cab overs have them both mounted on the frame... Dont want it in the bed or dump body , so under the body it went....

7. johngus

johngus Senior Member

My work has a 99 E350 Diesel van,the second battery mounts on the passenger frame rail in a real nice metal box.I'm sure you can order it direct from your ford dealer.will probably suit your purpose very well.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Check in the Ford truck discussion area there is a post on a nice dual battery setup for the Super Dutys using the factory parts for the Diesel for a drivers side mount. Little mod needed.

For the older trucks use the same idea on them. Trays are avail for bolt up application with only minor relocation of under hood acc.

Jerre

9. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! It's great to have people on here to turn to in case we "less experienced" guys have questions!