1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Due Date On Invoices

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by dmjr77, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Would it be out of line if when I update my invoices if I put a note in them that I would like to have all outstanding balances cleaned up say by a certain date? Would I offend any of my customers? Thank You
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, I don't think you'd be out of line. I put a line on my bills stating "please pay amount due by the 10th of the month". I've never had anybody say they were offended. I've had some that simply couldn't pay. When I sent a "2nd notice" (usually about the 20th), I ask them to contact me if there was a problem with the bill. Usually, it would be something like they needed a little more time, so that was ok with me.

When you send out March bills (or whatever you figure as the last month for plowing bills), you might put a note in there that you'd like to arrange that all money due be paid by a certain date or to contact you to make arrangements.

Whenever I don't get paid on time, I ask if there is a problem with the billling. Make it so you're asking if you made a mistake; that way they won't feel like you're accusing them of something. Actually, I did make a mistake a couple months ago. I put the total down as $100 more than the total of itemized charges. Fortunately, it was someone I used to work with and who knew me fairly well. He just called me about it and we made kind of a joke out of it.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I agree with Mick, that would not be out of line. I use the Blizzard Buster program and they have a feature when you print out bills as to when the payment is due. I put 10 days from date of receipt.
  4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I don't think that you would be out of line at all either. They owe you the money. If you were behind on your rent or mortgage etc they would be calling all day long for their money. All you are going to do is put a note on the bill. I don't think that is out of line. You could also put on there that any accounts not up to date by "X" date will not be plowed until account is brought up to date. Just a thought.
    As for the due date, I put on all my landscape and snow bills "due upon receipt".
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Most invoices/invoice programs have a section for TERMS:

Make the TERMS: NET 30

30 days is the industry standard, but I often go NET 15 so that I'm paid prior to next inviocing date.

If they're late and havent paid last months when this months is going out, put the following: Invoice Due and payable upon receipt
  6. bingermann

bingermann Member

Account Receivable

My terms are due upon receipt of invoice & is clearly stated on the bottom portion of my invoice. All my customers pay within one week that way. Then I don't have to worry about managing accounts receivable. No customer has complained yet!
  7. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Due dates on the invoices should reflect what you listed on your contract. Payment terms should always be in your contract so your customer's know what is expected.
  8. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Not only is it not out of line, it's a damn good idea. When I ran my own DJ company, we clearly stated on all our contracts that the deposit was due xx days from signing, and the balance was to be paid after the event was over.

If you don't put a date down, then they wouldn't have to pay up for.....1 year? 5 years? 20 years........
  9. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

due upon reciept! payup
  10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

The last time I looked, my credit card statements had a due date, along with all the rest of my bills. My invoices for snow removal state "Net 15 days". We live in a small community so I don't get really obnoxious (holly cow, I butchered that spelling), about collecting bills unless they are out there 45 days or so. I have had to call a few people to see if there was a problem with the service that I was providing to them. That is my nice way of asking why the **** I havn't been paid. Usually when you pin them down they give you the "deer in the headlights" look. The way that I look at it though, is don't burn too many bridges because that particular account might be the one that puts food on your table next season.