1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking about getting another truck in the spring/summer. I'd prefer a srw but if I find the exact truck I want in a dually I'd still be interested. I've never plowed with a dually or barelly even driven one, I have a total of about 3 miles behind the wheel in a 99 c3500 cc/lb Chevy. What's some pro's and con's to plowing/dd a 1ton dually over your normal srw 1/2-1ton pickup? I'd take a normal pickup bed but I would also like to try and find a truck with an 8-9ft flatbed on it and make some 8" sides to hold stuff from sliding off. I'm assuming the flatbed would be easier to plow with but I've noticed most stick out a few inches past the cab on both sides and seem wider overall then a normal pickup bed with the dually flares on it. Basically what would I should I expect going from my srw truck to a dually with a normal 8ft bed on it or an 8-9ft flat bed on it? The body configuration would be a long bed and either a reg cab or extended cab and of course 4x4 and a 2nd gen dodge or probably an obs (88-00 classic) chevy/gmc.

Edit: Similar to what I'm talking about above.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's the biggest they would get. It would possibly get a couple inches taller with more agressive tires but that shouldn't affect anything mentioned above.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

back 15 years ago i plowed for a guy that put a flatbed on his and i hit the bldg, just a touch but it still happened. he took a bed off a real truck and that was good it stuck a 1' on each side. so be careful how far they stick out.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Stick with the srw dually suck for a daily driver

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

agree with the last post......we have 3 six wheelers: 1 dulley & 2 Cab and chassies...IMO if you HAVE to have 4 tires on the back i'd go with the Cab and Chassis, since they are much more narrow....my Dulley wont even fit through my local bank drive in whereas the CC's will.....

5. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

cab and chassis are usually 8 wide or less from the outside of the tires, whereas one with a pickup box on it are usually 102 inches

6. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

if all you do is snow plowing i wouldnt bother with a drw,the major diffrence is gas mileage,turning radius,fitting in tight spots and if your not making a butt load of money and not over the age of 21 why bother?

7. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

I plow with both i have a 05 3500 SRW and a 08 GMC 3500 CC Dually I bit more to watch for with a dually but yuo have more options with it you can carry the family around with it pull a rv no probs,in the winter its got so much room i can use it s a office. I dont find much of a diff in mileage when plowing i find both will get atleast 18 hours to a tank. i cant say anything bad about either i run a 8'6" arctic on the dually and a 8' a Arctic and i SnowEX 8500 on the SRW. I try to think of what i will need down the road and buy it only once if you think the dually will help you out later in other things grab it if not take the SRW

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't need a dually. It was more of a "what if" thing. I meant I'd get a dually if I find a truck that is a great deal, in excellent shape and is what I want but I'd still prefer it to just be a srw. More or less if I found my dream truck but it had 4 back tires would it be worth taking or waiting it out and trying to find a srw.

9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I think you pretty much covered all the pros and cons yourself in the first post. If you can deal with the extra width, then I'd say go for it. If you have smaller plowing accounts, parallel park down town a lot, eat fast food on the run often or go thru the bank drive thru, then I'd stay with SRW.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Last year I plowed with a dually F550 and it worked fine for big lots but for driveways/small lots it was quite the pain. You will also need quite a big plow the truck I used had a 9.5' V plow and I wouldnt want anything any smaller.

11. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I agree with the last post a lot. I doubt I will ever have another DRW truck as long as I can keep getting what I have now. Going through banks, drive thru's, parking spots etc. with a DRW is a big PITA. I sold my last dually in 04 after I bought, with much concern, a 3500 SRW Dodge quad cab to pull my 50' gooseneck race car trailer which is a load. Much to my delight I had no issues with swaying, curves, exit ramps, or pulling ability. I ran 40,000 miles in 7 months in 04 pulling my trailer with a combined gross load of 38,000 pounds. Thats half what an 18 wheeler grosses. I have a heavyweight plow, a tailgate spreader and I pull out with 5-6 thousand pounds of salt in bed every time it snows. With the Cummins engine in front and the plow hanging out front, it is not far from being level. I get 12 miles to the gallon like that plowing and 14-15 pulling the trailer. I have a 26' landscape trailer with 4 Lasers on it and 4-5 passengers to go in summer and get 16-17 mpg. It now has 140,000 miles on it and NO, THE TRANSMISSION HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF IT AND IT JUST GOT ITS FIRST FLUID CHANGE. The inside is the biggest cab avail in trucks and the headroom is incredible. Some will say I'm biased but theres not a Chevy or Ford that will handle the salt load like the Dodge. I know cause I load 10 of them all the time. Turning radius is the best in the industry too. Vision out back when plowing is buch better than with a dump, flatbed with sides, or other beds. The 2500's are plenty heavy too. I will admit I'm not able to dispel rumors or statements about the 08-09 stuff, but the 2000-2007 stuff is all good. Thats my story and I will fight over it. LOL

12. ptllandscapeIL

hey mark I'm not bashing you dude,and i understand trust me and the 21 comment was alto toward insurance,cause if your not carry commercial insurance on those trucks it will kill you

13. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Also got to remember that just about any dually will have a GVWR over 10,000 lbs which means that if used for business, you will need all the goodies (depending on where you live) such as medical card, DOT#, annual inspection...etc

I was looking into a flatbed dually, but figured I can benefit more from a SRW 1 ton.

14. ptllandscapeIL

oh yes,I forgott hat mark you are in illinois and that truck(if your not carry a vbox on the back) will get away with ad plate which will cover you to 12000 pound or F plate which will go to 16000 lbs but eitherway you will need to get a saftey check (safty sticker you see in windows) and then your talking coppers wactching ur behind for overload

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm not really interested in a dually I was more or less seeing what "trouble" one would get me into. Like I said above it's a last option for me with buying a truck.