1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JEC, Sep 28, 2004.

1. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

Evening All.

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a couple of days.
    I have an 8' Western plow that I'm transfering from a '93 Chevy 1500 to a '97 Chevy 3500 Dually.
    I'm not really "in the business", and I pretty much just use the plow to maintain my own lot at my business, (as well as take care of a couple of my elderly neighboor's driveways).

Here's my question:
    In looking at many of your (quite impressive) rig pictures, I've noticed that "dually plow trucks" aren't too popular.
    Is there a specific reason for this?

Dayton, Ohio.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah its very hard to do driveways with there more for big pkg lots
  3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Duallies have the tendency of riding on top of the snow. Some people with duallies even take off the inside or outside tire to help prevent this. Also you may want to think about getting wings for your plow to make it wider. 8' might not be wide enough to clear snow for your own rear tires. They exist and if I were you I would also wait for someone who owns a dually. Those are the reasons that I know of.
  4. Ripple

Ripple Member

Duallys are just a little wider....I use my truck to pull trailers in the summer. I am useing an 8'6" Fisher EZV with no problems
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My main plow truck is a 3500 dually diesel. Lots of power and with the flatbed, carries the V-box easily. Like has been said, it's not easy doing a small driveway or lot. But I have pretty big driveways and it's excellent for private roads with hills. Last winter, I left off the outside duals. I found traction to be better than with the duals, but I found out (in Maine anyway, you need to check your state) that "altering the wheel configuration" is illegal with a truck that has ABS.

Another thing with a dually is that you'll really need a 9' plow to clear the back tires.

But I think the main reason for duallies not being "popular" as a plow truck is that most guys tend to get the truck for other reasons, then put a plow on it. Face it, a 3500 and up is not your typical grocery-getter. They're more expensive to buy and maintain. Even for those who do landscaping; they use, at most, a 2500 to pull a trailer.
  6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

There are a lot of guys in my area who plow with dually trucks. Most of them have flatbeds & Western V plows on them. A couple of years ago I had a buddy who traded trucks and got a dually, he used his same 8' blade on it. It seemed to work for him just looked a little funny, big truck & little blade. :waving:
  7. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

dont worry about it

my 97 chevy dually Blizard 8-10 .. Is a great plow truck just make shure you have a little wait in the back
  8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I personally don't have a dually for a plow truck yet, until my 05 F-350 DRW, FX4 comes in (5-6 weeks left!! :) :) ) But my father who plows has 4 duallys with plows (2-04 F-350 SC DRW FX4, 03 F-550 CC 4X4 and 2000 F-350 CC DRW 4X4or all with diesels) he runs 2.5 yd sanders in the rears of all of F-350s, and has Western MVP 9.5' on them. And has a 4.5yd sander and a Blizzard 8611 on the F-550. He uses his for large lots and long roads/drives, for tight drives he uses Jeeps, Bobcats, or 4-wheelers.
  9. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

my boss uses a dually f 350 dump truck powerstroke as a primary plow truck. he plows in 2 wheel drive, and he doesn't have any problems. i don't have any personal experience with duallys however
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I plow with a dually... my blade is 9'-2".

Just for the record, cab and chassis duallies have a rear width (outside to outside) that is not much more than a standard single wheel, in fact if a pickup box is added, the tires will be approximately even with the fender edges. A factory dually pickup, however, is a different story, as the axle itself is about a foot wider (hence the fibreglass flared fenders).

I never had much trouble traction wise, even with near bald tires and no positraction, I just added more ballast! :D I could plow in 2wd for anything but heavy snow or hills. This year I added six new tires and a Powertrax locker, so maybe I won't need so much extra weight.
  11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I've always plowed with 1 ton dually dumps. They carry much more weight (and usually weight more even empty) than the SRW trucks. This allows the truck to use momentum to more easily move snow. With big storms and large areas, this can be a big advantage.
  12. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

Good Evening all and thanks for the replies.

Like I said earlier, I'm not really in the business. I plow my own one acre lot, a couple of neighboring businesses, and a few driveways for some friends.

This particular truck is kind of a "toy" for me. The TV and DVD player in the back seat probably wouldn't come in all that handy on snow days. :)

The truck is built for "heavy duty", but it'll probably never see heavy duty work. I have other ones for that...... :)

Thanks again.

13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Which of the 2 statments is correct?
    1. I am not realy in the business?
    2. I plow my own one acre lot, a couple of neighboring businesses, and a few driveways for some friends."

Nice truck by the way.
  14. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

Both statements are true.....

I'm in the equipment rental business, not the snow removal business.
    I have a lot of "stuff", and a lot of trucks. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the red one.:)

15. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Nice truck, and just take your time while plowing and you'll do just fine. I plowed with an F350 dullie for years with a 9' Western Plow on it. That truck was unstopable.

from SE PA

I will make this short and sweet! 3500HDs' are great in the snow! Will try to post pic. in pic. forum!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  17. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I have had a dually for the last 3 seasons. (86 chevy K30). I ran a 7.5 ft WesternProplow with ProWings. Worked pretty good. I sold the Chevy and got a newer Dodge w/ cummins and a 9.2 Boss V. The big deal is that the plow has to be wide enough so that the outside dual clears the windrow just created, AND you have to have enough weight to make the rear tires settle down and bite. I put about 80 gal of mag chloride and that was always adequate for me. During the blizzard of '03, I chained up the front and outside dual. Never got stuck bad, but also gave up trying to move 60" of snow

18. Ripple

Ripple Member

Duallys Rock

Duallys rock in the snow....I just put it in gear and the duramax and allison just push the snow out my way. The heavier the snow the better!

PRODUCTIVE P. M Junior Member

Plow Trucks

I Have Had Both And Duallys Are Much Better. You Can Plow In 2 Wheel Drive, And Hold Way More Weight.
  20. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I started using dually GMC 3500 4wd dumps 2 years ago and agree with everyone else in the forum. Much easier to plow lots with and the few residentials we do aren't a problem. We add weight, usually snow, and run in 2wd most of the time. We had 1 dually dump with just 2wd, but it did get stuck a few times and was not worth the effort so it was sold. The brakes and tires are more expensive, maybe the primary reason people prefer regular truck.