1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dually to standard..how hard?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Jun 11, 2004.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i dont need a dually, how hard and whats required to change it over..besides the bed..

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

It can be as simple (or hard) as you desire. You could just un bolt and remove the outside duals and stop at that (but it looks ridiculous). IFS Chevrolets and GMC's use a bolt on adapter behind the front wheels so that they will use the same offste wheels on front and rear. If you unbolt that spacer you can mount standard wheels on the front. Standard rears should bolt right on but the rear track width may be wider than a single wheel truck (mild fender flares?). You may also need to change some or all of the wheel studs (front may be too short, rears may be too long.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The easiest way is to put a for sale sign in the window. then buy a SRW truck.
    Another is to find someone who would like to make a DRW out of there SRW and have them do the work for the exchange.
    I hope this truck is a 2X4 if it isn't then you have to match gears or keep your own.

wfd44;
    I always thought DRW on cab chaise axles were shorter then SRW on pickups.

4. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

the idea of a trade is a good one, i may put a ad in the paper to see if someone wants a dually, and would be willing to help with a conversion.
    i cant really sell the truck, ive removed the smog crap, and had done some stuff to the engine that would make it imposible to pass any kind of check.

what exactally was the purpose of the dually anyway?? is it the load? i thought a 1 ton was a 1 ton.
    :dizzy:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

duelly have a lot higher Rear axle Rating. My Rear axle is Rated at 8600 lbs the front is 4600 lbs. they more stable when loaded or towing too.

6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

A dually one ton is generally rated for the same GVW as a single rear wheel one ton. The dually is more stable under a load and infinitely more stable while pulling a heavy trailer.

dwan: from the original post "beside the bed" I took it to be a duually pickup. I think Dually pickups have a wider track rear axle than a SRW one ton. Chassis cabs were (at different times) offfered with an option for rear axle width. Wide track for utility bodies and boom trucks (same track as dually pickup). Narrower track for wreckers and dumps.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Thought so. all 4 of my cab chassis have shorter axles then my pickups. I have noticed on DWR pickups the front wheels track over the inter rear wheels but on the cab chassis the fronts track between the rear wheels.

8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Ive had guys tell me Im full of crap but a dually pickup axle is @ 12 inches wider than a Cab and Chasis and a cab and chasis axle is narrower than a single wheel pickup.

9. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

feck...............:cry:

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Correct. I wrote a response on another posting of the question.

To add, the single wheel 14 bolt full-floater is also used in the 3/4 ton trucks so they are easy to get.

If your truck is a 4wd then it should have a Dana 60 front axle. The spindles out are different on a dually. Hard to find and $$$ too.

11. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

Spongebob

is your truck 4x4 ? what year?

I am looking for a Mid 80's 4wd dually

12. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

no, its not a 4x4..i'd give my eye teeth if it was..