1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually Tire Size

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mitragorz, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I've been eyeing a local '97 F350 dually dump body to haul around my 2-yard spreader. The truck will need tires.

I'm in the process of selling my '97 F250HD to free up some funds. the 250 has nearly brand-spanking new Cooper Discoverer M+S, size 265/75R16. Ideally, I'd like to swap them out for some used tires and move the snow tires to the 350, so I only have to buy 2 new tires.

Do you think the 265s will rub with a loaded spreader? Stock tires sizes are 235/85 and 215/85.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can't speak of rubbing, I would be concerned 1st on load range of tires. What range are the new tires? C,D,E?
  3. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

The 265s I'm looking to keep and swap over are E load. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they're rated for something like 3400 single, 3200 dual.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen quite a few with the 265's under load. No rubbing.
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

265/75R 16 = 32 X 10.50 X 16
    235/85R 16 = 32 X 9.50 X 16
    the 265 is 1 inch wider, so without a spacer between the rims you may experience sidewall rub when loaded.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

7. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Thanks guys, I already know the size differences between the two :)

I want to stay away from spacers. I've read plenty of good about them, but I'm afraid that they'll strain the hubs too much.

What i didn't know is if the extra width is enough to close the gap. I don't know how much room there is between the tires of a dually and what the real-world flex is.

I guess the best thing to do would be to mount the tires and drop a pallet of cement in the bed. That's about 3400#. Maybe throw another 1/2 pallet on top for good measure and see what the tires do.

Being 4WD, I don't think running the 235s in the rear and 265s in the front is a good option, despite the difference in height being super-slight. If I'm buying 4 tires I might as well buy 6, right? :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016