1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bobross, May 20, 2015.

1. bobross

bobross Junior Member

Needing to get my traction issues under control for the upcoming winter. I had an old set of single tire chains that didn't really get the job done for me last year and ended up needing a 25ft tow into my driveway that cost $75.

I'm new to the north, and I'm really not sure what to look for in snow chains. The truck will never see the road in the winter, but I need to ensure I don't run into traction issues again. I'm already planning on loading the bed with stamp sand.

Any recommendations on a good set of dually chains? I'm willing to spend a little extra up front if it means I don't have to worry about traction.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the outter wheel on each side. Load up on weight, you'll be good to go.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Is the truck 4wd, are you running an aggressive tire in the winter and are studs allowed?
    Providing your driveway and roads in the area don't have a large crown on them chains on the outside tire should be fine.
    I carry/use V-Bar chains, they've bite into anything, they're not a high speed chain and take them off when they're no longer needed.
    I use chains more for getting traction in mud than I use them for traction in snow.
    I've been using Peerlees Chains, http://www.grainger.com/product/3VT...3VTP4&ef_id=VSNMxAAABAwZ2r7H:20150521141546:s

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is it hilly or mountainous where you are? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Or flat as WY?:waving:

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Tirechain.com is your best source for chains. I've purchased several sets from them over the years and I quickly learned that your best option is to buy the expensive ones right off the bat.

And if it says that a chain tightener is recommended you should buy it.

7. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I did a bit of research prior to posting and decided I didn't want to go with single tires. The feedback seems mixed as to whether or not this can be damaging to the truck... A few hours of googling and no one ever really gave concrete evidence/proof. If I continue to run into traction issues this winter it will happen though.

The current tires are old as hell, but I really don't have the cash to buy replacements. Same goes for studs. Also, its a 2WD :/ The truck came with the house, and the chains that came with it were kind of crummy... eventually they broke right as winter was coming to an end. Of course, I'm up in the UP of Michigan, so we still got snow for another 3 months.

There were times when I couldn't get traction on flat ground in my driveway, but the biggest issue is a small rise from the road at the end of my driveway. I had to pay for a $75 tow one time, had my stepdad pull me back in the driveway the another, and spent over an hour throwing rocks/dirt/salt in front of the drive wheels another time.

Looking at tirechain.com is what prompted me to come post here... there are so many chains that I just don't know what to look for. I'll do some more looking now that I've at least got "V-Bar + Expensive" as indicators of what to look for.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

How much weight do you have over the rear axle?
    Scratch that.

Sell the 2x4.

Then get a 4x4 even if its a 1/2 ton a 3/4would be better.

jmo.

or hire it out ;)

ps if the truck will not see the road and you set on using it, add weight, get chains, and maybe a winch and go to singles.

or Google it.

9. 1olddogtwo

I remember as a kid walking uphill both ways to school with no shoes in the snow

10. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I must be missing something. If the truck will never see the road in the winter why are you getting towed and why are you looking for chains? Or is there so much snow you can't see the road all winter ?

11. 1olddogtwo

OK, explain what ur doing with the truck, are you just moving out of drive so another car get in?

if the truck is not driven on the streets I dont understand the purpose of the question

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

From what I've seen of the UP there is....... but I'm sure someone would dispute that too...........:waving:

13. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I am using the truck to plow my own yard. The 'never see the road' comment was to alleviate any concerns regarding legality of chains in my area.

I am not looking for advice on how to improve traction overall. I've spent many hours reading the forums here and other places. I've weighed the pros, cons, and costs of various things including going singles, trading the truck, swapping in a SRW axle, adding weight, snow tires, studded tires, chains, adding weight, switching to a snow blower, installing a winch block in the yard, etc. My current circumstances dictate that weight and chains are about all I can afford to do, and all I am willing to do without risking damage to the truck going to singles. I may be in a better position to pursue other options next Summer.

I do appreciate the responses so far, and I apologize if this post is a bit terse. I've done my due diligence with regards to general traction issues with duallies. I would take the time to research chains as well, but I just became a father in the last two weeks. My online time has been significantly reduced, and I have a ton of other projects to finish before winter sets in.

I do not have the time to devote to properly researching tire chains at this point, so I am asking the community here for input on that specific item.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it's literally for your drive, and the truck won't be driven on the road, buy some chains and be done. Your making this way to complicated.

15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Congratulations on Fatherhood. Let your kid drive and you push, traction problem solved

16. bobross

bobross Junior Member

Can you please recommend a set of dually chains?

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The kind that fit, and work. Done.

18. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

If there is any amount of snow, sooner or later you are going to get stuck trying to plow with a 2wd and especially a dually. There are no magic chains that will guarantee you won't get stuck. Buy a good set of chains , add lots of weight, cross your fingers and join AAA.

19. bobross

bobross Junior Member

I hope all 8K+ posts are as useful as the two in this thread. Really disappointed in this community's inability to provide meaningful help to a very specific question.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

His info is useful. Just because hes not taking you to the store, holding your hand as he chooses a set of tire chains for you.

You have gotten a lot of free "Help" from the community, some you use, some you dont.

I'm disappointed that a new member would complain about "free" help. that is offered willingly and for free from the "community".

There is always google, but that will just lead you back here...

PS
    http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=tire+chains

Last edited: May 22, 2015