1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually rear end .............. how about dually front end

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BigBladePusher, Dec 7, 2012.

1. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i got a half ton ford straight six stick shift that ii got a dual rear wheel set up from jc whitney. wanted to know of anyone put a dual wheel set up on front also for added traction. i dont drive the truck on road much so tire wear aint a problem. lets hear yuor thoughts on this anyone done it before?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

and we can leave it if the discussion remains decent...so, no attacking one another, calling each other names, using uncalled for (vulgar) language, etc.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

turning would be awfull i would think. clearance issues between rim and tie rod would ruin your idea before it got started if i am correct. could be fun though. i thought duallys were awfull in snow and grass, not enough pressure to the ground . think snow shoe or high heel stepping on you.

4. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

what about if it had chains. i have chains on the rear and they help alot. the extra wheel bolts to the lug nuts you dont use dually wheels you use single rear wheel wheels that bolt together. not the recessed dually wheel that hits the tirerods

5. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I want to see it. Haha if it works it will be kind of cool. It will need alot of custom fab. work but if your good at it I dont see why you can make it work some how.

6. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

What for you wiped out my post? It was 100% civil, intended to be helpful, and was far from slanderous. Not that it mattered, I just dont like to be painted with a broad brush.

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

go for it. worst thing that happens is you wasted some money. oddity items are always fun to see. its stupid yes, but so are a lot of things. try it out. report back.

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I removed the thread not just your post and this one is a fresh start...I mean let's keep it decent moving forward

9. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

I got the rear kit from jc whitney. it takes the stock wheel from a singlle wheel truck and allows you to bolt a second single wheel next to it. basically long lug nits to tie the wheels together with a 5 lug machines spacer to keep the long nuts from twisting. i will post pictures soon have to use my friends camera. its not like the dually rims where they are offset and the wheel hits the other wheel. its basically a spacer between wheels that holds them together and to the original lug nuts its pretty cool

10. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

anways guys lets not side track this thread people got out of hand on the last one and this ones gonna be fine. keep it under the topic and lets hear ideas. im going to make a u tube video to show how cool the read setup is that i have when i borrow a camera

11. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

You say you want it for traction, but I had an uncle that had a duely plow truck and would pull one of the duels off each side for the winter to get better traction. With the extra width, you will ride up over the hard pack more than break through it with a single narrow tire. If you do it, i would also like to see pics. GOOD LUCK!!

13. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

excellent point i run chains on the back and real meety tires. i have powerking tires they are army truck tires real aggresive. without the chains its not as good as with the chains. i had a problem pushing the blade with a single rear wheel so i added the dual and it def helped in moderate condtions. il have to do a comparison single vs double traction one storm il take a tire off and see how it plows.

14. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

if you look at snow and ice tires, they are very narrow. reason being is because the less amount of tire contacting the road, the lbs per sq inch of pressure increases. ever seen a fertalizer spreader with three tires like the ones monster trucks use? they use those wide "FLOATER" tires so they dont compact the dirt in the fields. wide tires dont compact, thats why tractor tires are soo wide, because they float, not much pressure on the ground. so the dually tire setup acts the same way, not as much traction unless maybe its really soupy mud and then twice the tread lugs digging would help.

like i said, think of someone stepping on your chest with snow shoes on, it wouldnt hurt at all really. now, have someone step on you using the heel of a stilleto, that would possibly peirce your chest and kill you, for sure it would hurt. reason being is that the pressure exerted of say a 100 pound person is spread over a large area with snowshoes, and a very concentrated area with a high heel. and that pressure is what gives your truck traction. so without pressure into the ground, you are floating on top and not pushing down to get traction.

hope you get what im saying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

excellent point

so maybe i should look for larger and thinner tires with chains isstead of extra tires. makes sense now. thank you.

16. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

correct. skinny tires with chains will go much farther

17. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

ok im going to try runnin single wheel next storm see how it goes before i spend money on the dual front wheel kit

18. MRP

MRP Junior Member
    from Alaska

We put duals all the way around a Subaru. It would go almost anywhere but was basically uncontrollable. If you weren't really really careful with the steering wheel it would take your arm off. I wouldn't advise it.

19. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Once again, with wheel camber and clearance would make this not practical. Beside, in snow you don't want wide tires, narrow tires are better for traction.

20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

also, with the dual tires on the front you would have to trim the bumper and fender at the wheel opening to get any turning radius without the tire hitting body parts.

while it may seem like a good idea, it will not work. tall skinny tires with chains is the way to go.