1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RamPainting LLC, Nov 8, 2008.

1. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I've been searching threw this thread looking for a dually pics, I've got a 99 cummins I'm looking equip with a Wideout for the season. Post up your Dually's if you got one:cool:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Dually plow

The only problem with a wideout on a dually is that when the wings are in the plow is only 8ft and fully angled you won't clear the dually. If you plan on keeping the wings out or in scoop position you might not have any problems. I have had a 8.5 on a dually that barely cleared the wheels, i now have a 9ft and there is plenty of room.
  3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Well lets see some pics of your duallys
  4. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Member

Here is dodge 1 ton we run with a meyer snow plow....We also have a another dodge and a chevy with boss strait blades. The two boss' have not been connected..I will add them when they are mounted.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I can't post pics from this computer, but they have been posted here somewhere else. I have an extended cab dually with a Blizzard 810. I don't plow with it in 8 foot mode, so don't worry about the width there. Your rearend is 8 feet wide, at least mine is, so your should be about the same. When I turn it doesn't take long before I can get the outside duals into the snow even at 10 feet wide, so an 8 or 8.5 footer is definitely not enough. Knowing I wanted width I was hunting for a used 9' Fisher or a Blizzard 810, lucked into the Blizz and am very happy. I'll take the extra foot and the ability to scoop and guide the snow any day.
  6. Detroitdan

They're powered, so it's no problem to run the wings out or to scoop. With the wings in even with the blade straight it would only plow wide enough to clear the rear wheels, until you turned. I'd think even your 9 footer will angle enough to be narrower than your rear wheel track.
  7. Detroitdan

That's not really a dually per se. Yes it has dual rear wheels, but generally I think the term dually refers to a dually pickup, which has a much wider rearend than a dump truck or cab and chassis.
  8. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

1990 Chevy X-cab dually dumpbed with Blizzard 860 Speedwing. This is my back-up truck, although it's had 5 weeks of steady plowing already this winter,... works fine,... trailing wing is like having a 9'9" starightblade,....

New Blizzard plow (Custom).JPG
  9. RamPainting LLC

That was my reasoning for the wideout, I wanted a 9-10" blade on the job, with the ease of driving with a 8 footer on the road.
  10. RamPainting LLC

How's the front end on your truck holding up, with all the extra weight?
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

May want to also consider a Snoway Revo then.
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The axles should be exactly the same. Put a pick up bed on there and you couldn't tell the difference.
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

14. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

No cab chassie axles set inside the with with of the cab almost if you had to put a bed on one you could have to tub out the inside of the bed with fenders. We have 2 dump truck here ones a dually and the other ones a cab chassie big diff in the widths.
  15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Not on that vintage Dodge..... :rolleyes:

What about a Blizzard 8611LP? That's definitely what I'd choose. :D
  16. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Member

Never had a problem
  17. Detroitdan

Actually, now that you mention it, I think those vintage Dodges might not have had a cab and chassis option. I remember hearing something about their frames being such that it required more fabrication to make them into a utility truck, so it was a lot more rare to actually see one. Around here there are very very few companies that will install a dump or work body on one, always used to wonder why that was. It's either because it's a PITA to do or Dodge wouldn't warranty frames that had been drilled or welded, something like that. Somebody must know.
    There are loads of Dodges here, very popular truck, as many as Fords and GMs, however it's extremely rare to see a Dodge dump truck, utility box, wrecker or otherwise. So it wouldn't surprise me if Dodge didn't even have a cab and chassis option back then. They probably have one now, in fact I think Iremember seeing it advertised and they made it sound like they invented it.

Looking closely at that picture, it actually looks to me like the inner duals do track with the front tires, so it has the wide rearend like a dually pickup. My bad, I so enjoy pointing out the dually rearend thing every time it comes up that I didn't check my facts.

Basically, what I was getting at is MOST 1 ton dumptrucks or any work truck configuration sitting on a 6 wheeled 1 ton chassis, particularly Fords and Real Trucks, are a actually a much narrower axle than a 1 ton dually pickup truck. So, going back to the OP, if it weren't a dually pickup with an 8 foot wide rearend, you wouldn't need a great big plow.

I've seen some 73-87 GMs with narrow duals tucked under a fleetside bed, looks so cool. I always wanted to build one. I'd like to find a crewcab dumptruck and put a fleetside bed on it, I think that would be really cool.

IMO the powerplow is the ideal plow for a dually. Best of all worlds. And now you have a choice of three colors!
  18. Detroitdan

Hey Alaska Boss, what do you mean when you say trailing wing? How are you getting to 9'9"?

BTW, I really like that truck. Must be nice to actually get to plow snow. Can I come up and plow with you? I'm still blowing leaves in a t-shirt here:(
  19. RamPainting LLC

I'm not a big fan of the hydraulic ram lifting system on these plows, if there was a solenoid problem you can't short chain the plow, and drive back to the shop.

Good to hear, I know the ball joints have alway been a problem with the weight of the Cummins for Dodge.
  20. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

The wings on the Blizzard 860 Speedwing can be pinned back which then makes this plow a 9'9" straightblade. The "trailing" wing is the rear-ward wing, which automatically adjusts back to be in line with the moldboard when the plow is angled. Since the problem of running over and into your snowbanks is always on inside corners, this plow, which is 8'6" when straight/scoop, turns into effectively a 9'9" straightblade on the inside/trailing side when angled, and that's why it works just fine on a dually,... but the best thing about this truck, was that it was better than free,... when it was all said & done, I had the truck plus $300 in my pocket,.... (that was on another thread),.... :waving: