1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dually, I know another tire thread

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by badbowtie, Jul 5, 2016.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a 03 dually duramax that is a daily driver that I tow with and I also snow plow with. I am in need of tires I am trying to decide between the duratracs which I know work in the snow but figuring I am only going to see 20-30k Miles at the most. Or getting the michelin ltx at2 which I am figuring 50-60k on. I am going to go with 245 75 16 and going to run 1.5 rear wheel hubcentric spacers. They are both about same price so that is not a factor.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You probably won't get 50-60k on them. Isn't 245 stock size? Probably no reason for spacers.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I hate the LTX, surprisingly though I got almost 60,000 miles out of my last set SRW 350.

I was going to get the Goodyears but I know they like to be rotated regularly and I don't like to rotate.

I've always bought the Goodyear ATS and that's what replaced the factory Michelin tires

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Being a dooly and the LTX lacking traction I'd run a more aggressive tire like the ATS

5. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Well I still aint bought tires but know I have looked at the toyo m/t toyo a/t 2 and the bfg k02 and the discover at/3 which the copper are the cheapest.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with the Cooper AT3's I think. I would avoid the duratracs, most everyone I know that's run them isn't happy with their lack of stability under load even on a dually. They rave about the traction and then go on to say how poor their road manners are and how unpredictable they can be at times.

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I never had an issue with their stability under load. Lol. Don't know where that comes from.

8. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I had duratracs on my last dually and never had a issue under load neither and had several heavy loads on that truck. But I have it narrowed down to the cooper at3 or the toyo at2. Know I just need to make a decision by tomorrow morning so I can go get them mounted tomorrow morning.