1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually Conversion

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cold_and_tired, Nov 7, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I found a guy that wants to do a conversion on his truck. He wants to go from a dually to a single wheel and I have been thinking about doing the opposite.

But...do I really need a dually?

I tow my 20' gooseneck almost everyday. It's typical load consists of a skid steer and some misc. tools. The average weight when loaded is around 12k lbs.

I really don't carry a lot of payload in the truck other than the typical stuff that fits in my toolbox.

In the winter, the truck carries the plow and a full tailgate spreader. Not really a massive load.

My 2-3 year plan includes me buying a V-box spreader and a fifth wheel for the summer. Those are the only two things that I think would warrant a dually.

Do you guys think I NEED a dually?
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Dually's are great for hi way towing especially in the canyons and that's about it IMO.
    Without a pile of weight in the bed they flat out suck in the snow and even with just a few inches on the road you'll be in four wheel drive.
    SRW's is the way to go, you don't have the extra width and extra $400.00 + every time you buy new skins.
  3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Almost all the trucks I have owned have been Dually's. I love them for towing but they do SUCK in the snow. I tow up to 21k with my SRW with out any issues. If i towed 21k every day I would have a dually lol. For 12-14k your fine with a SRW. But do you self a Favor and put some Airbags on that truck. With a DRW you will want a wider plow, they are less maneuverable and every time you buy tires there are another 2.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How about stepping up the load range and rim width a few on the rear tires? Keep them the same diameter so you don't have 4X4 problems.
  5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you towing 12k daily, I would want DRW along with a good set of airbags.
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

It's hard to do because there aren't many manufacturers making a hub centric wheel which our trucks require.

Being that the load is usually a skid steer, I have a lot of wiggle room on the trailer to keep the majority of the weight off the truck.

I think I am going to pass on doing the conversion. So far, the cons are outweighing the pros. I will cross the dually bridge when I get there. Right now, I just don't think it's necessary.

If I play my cards right, I will be able to get a brand new truck in 2-3 years. Maybe that one will be a dually.