1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dually 4 plowin?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yardfarmer, Oct 26, 2005.

1. yardfarmer

yardfarmer Junior Member

I was wondering if a dually was ok to plow with, or what is the prefered type of truck. I am in the market. thanks 4 any advice.
  2. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

1 of the trucks we run for snow is a 1995 GMC dually with a boss 9'2" v-plow on it. Works great for parking lots, banks, etc. It helps because of the v-plow, I wouldn't put a straight blade on it. my 2 cents. Good luck
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Dually's are great with a couple warnings-
    they need a wider plow than you might normally buy. 8.5 ft min if you buy a Dodge.
    They also need weight in the back. Not just ballast, serious weight. My dually has a 350 gallon tank of mag chloride and I rarely let it get below 80 gallons. at 11 lbs per gallon, that works out OK.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I run nothing but so far. ;)

With new tires and a diff locker last year I almost never needed any ballast what so ever... if it was heavy, which we only got once or twice, I put a few hundred pounds in.

In previous years, with old tires and open diff, I would carry around a ton of gravel wherever I went...
  5. Dchris

Dchris Junior Member

My 1st plow truck was a F350 dually 7.3 rear drive. It did ok with at least a ton of weight in the rear. If you plan on doing a lot of ice-control a dually would be nice. If your just plowing i would recomend a 3/4 ton.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am running a 2000 Dodge with most nights very little ballast. It is great for plowing but sometimes when the roads aren't plowed it is all over the road when going from site to site. My first choice would be a SRW one ton diesel.
  7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

dually for plowing

I would have to say that if you have ample weight in the back a dually will work fine, I actually have a 1990 Chevy Silverado 1 Ton with a Hi Way sander in the back, it can push some serious slush if needed loaded or unloaded. I have a Western MVP on the front, great for stacking.

1990 GMC 3/4 ton Suburban/Western unimount 7.5-w-wings
    1990 Chevy 1 Ton/Western 8' MVP/Hi-way 2yrd sander
    1993 Ford F800 4x4 Dumptruck 8.3 litre/250 hp
    1997 Dodge 3/4 Western 8' MVP
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have 1 GMC 3500 dually dump, 2wd w/ an 8.5 straight plow. It's great for big lots but it will get stuck once in awhile, even with a ton on the back. We always keep it paired up w/ a 4wd. (That way it never gets stuck.) We also keep a vee box on it and it's great for salting. I would not want to rely on it as my only plow vehicle.
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I believe the question is "what is the prefered type of truck"...

I would say that a dually is OK for certain types of plowing such as large open parking lots...but a single rear wheel pick-up would by far be a better "average" plowing vehicle. We run 7.5 and 8 foot Western Pro Plows on our SRW P/U's and sometimes on a tight driveway or alley the 7.5 footers are tight. It would be impossible to do some routes with a dually and a 9 foot blade.

My answer would be the SRW would be preferred over the DRW pick-up for average, every day mixed residential/commercial plowing. Just my two cents worth based on my experience...:drinkup:
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I agree. Unless you need dual rear wheels for towing in the off season or becasue you plan on running a big V box ect. The optimum "plow" only vehicle would probably be a reg cab single rear wheel 2500HD(or a SRW 3500) or a 1 ton ford or dodge. I would tend to lean twards the Chevy but thats JMO. Depends on what type of plowing you are doing though.....and if new truck or what?
  11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

My bad on the original question. I agree with Rat, SRW is preferred to a dually unless you are doing big lots. Ten years ago I did not care what brand, however, my accountant, who handles all types of contractors, sees a noticeable difference in the general cost of repairs Ford vs GMC/Chevy, Ford being more $.
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Pick a list of parts for a same year Ford And GM, and call the parts store for prices. Ford parts will cost more, and the availability is terrible. You have to source everything through the aftermarket because Ford stops producing replacement parts after 10 years. Or so I'm told.
  13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I came close to putting a plow on my dually this year, but instead I went with a 3/4 ton, cost half what a new plow would have cost me. The dually needs a 9 footer because its 8 feet wide at the rear fenders, its too long with the ext cab and would be awkward to get in and out of driveways. So I would have been stuck with commercial lots and private roads. I would like to do that but my work schedule doesnt really permit it. So I picked up a reg cab with an 8 foot straight blade and I'm going to do driveways. If it goes well maybe the 3/4 ton will buy me a Blizzard 810 for the dually and then I'll expand. A short wheelbase truck is nice for driveways because of the maneuverability, but you generally give up a lot of driveline beef when you go to a short wheelbase truck. A lot of oldtimers say duallies are horrible for plowing, but I think as long as you use enough weight to get traction and can keep the rear tires out of the snow it would be fine. I've been going through a dilemma about this for a while. I want a truck that will pull my camper, plow snow, and haul weight in the bed, and get me around without killing me in fuel. I've narrowed it down to a 2500hd Dmax crewcab, 3500 Dmax crewcab or Avalanche 2500 w/8.1. I think the 2500hd makes the most sense, because it will pull my trailer, not as well as a dually but plenty good enough, it'll plow well and haul weight or trash to the dump. I really dont think I'd buy another dually just because of the plowing issue, and buying 6 tires all at once $ucks big time. I love the Avalanche 2500 but it's a thirsty beast and I don't know if I'd want to subject it to the abuses of plowing. I wonder if it would handle an 810...The only other dilemma is how to pay for it.