1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual wheel conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IHcubman, Aug 15, 2003.

1. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Still thinking about getting one of the 5/4-ton military trucks (don’t want to rush into anything ya know). My latest thoughts are that a dual wheel truck with a custom dump/flatbed would be the way to go. Now for the dumb question: are dual wheels easily adapted to the 14 bolt full floaters that come on those trucks or do I need an entirely different rear-end?

I can get the truck already set-up this way (dual, cab & chassis) from some of the military surplus dealers, set up ready to go but, I still have some reservations with the 6.2 diesel. A local guy has two of the standard 5/4-ton pickups; with missing engines. I’m wondering if I’d be better off buying one of those and converting it to a 350-gas motor…

The disadvantage that I can see by going to duals is that my current 7 ½’ Fisher plow (which I planned on swapping over from my current ½-ton) may not be wide enough.

To make matters worse, I was at Home Depot last week and there was a guy there loading an 87 short bed (just like mine). He converted the axles to the full floater 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front with 4:10’s and 1-ton suspension. He plows with the truck and says it’s bulletproof. Then, he tells me he is building a new set of axles with 4:56 gears and he’ll have the ones that are on it now for sale this fall (he built them up last year so they have low hours/miles on them). So that gets me to thinking about going through my truck one more time….

Arrgh! Too much to think about!