1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual tanks on GM

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by natureboy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

I just got an '05 GM Chassis with a dump. I see there are 2 fuel tanks. Does it switch over to the 2nd tank automatically? And if both tanks are full, does the fuel gauge say full until the 1st tank is empty? I dont want to get stuck not knowing whats going on. Dealer gave it to me with both tanks full.
  2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If I had to guess they will drain at the same time if you don't have a switch.
  3. Fergy42286

Fergy42286 Member

My '04 3500 sucks fuel from both tanks,but not always evenly. Gauge must compansate for both tanks because a quarter of a tank is always 12 gal split between the the two.
  4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

The later model GM trucks with dual tanks have an electric fuel pump and level sensor in each tank. Both sensors are monitored by the engine computer, which then activates the appropriate pump. The computer also drives the fuel gauge on the dash, so the whole thing is controlled with software.