1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual spinner salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have an L8000 with an under tailgate spreader and I would like to know who makes an under tailgate with two spinners? Most just have one on the drivers side. Thanks !

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Why do you want two spinners? You would be wasteing a ton of salt as the two spinners would overlap everything in the middle and about half way out also.

3. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

this guy makes a great point, unless they make it sothat they only brodcast straight out?

4. Vaughn Schultz

Spinners all slide on a rod if i recall, left to right so you may adjust the rate to the left or right. I feel that with two you could equally throw salt far to the left and to the right. I do alot of lanes and apartments, I drive in one way, make a 47 point turn and drive back through the other way. I figured this would make one trip out of it.

Although, i do not see to many of these and that leads me to question how effective they really are.

5. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Swenson makes one! They are nice! I spread up to 80 foot in one pass. Since we do large distribution sites it cut our time down to 1/2 that it took before with single spinner. Also there set up so there's very little over lap. Go to Swenson's web and you can see it.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Give Bonnell Industries a call or stop by. I think they make them. They are not far from you, Dixon, IL.

7. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

A friend of mine has a W box not a V but a W! It has 2 conveyours and 2 spinners. Spreads 90 feet, works good with very little over lap. Not good for banks or other small lots.

8. Vaughn Schultz

Very cool, any idea what they cost?

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Cool, can you get us some pictures? I have never seen oen of those before.

10. Mike S

Ya I can do that. Cost not sure but I think he wants to sell it with the truck.

11. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Subscribed, very cool

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I see now why you are wanting two spinners. If you are just doing drive-lanes and the such then two wouldn't be effective in my eyes.

What you need is a center drop spreader like mine. It's a Flink and I can throw anywhere from 6 feet up to about 40 feet.

Adjusting the rod won't do anything for you left or right as far as I can tell. You would end up going heavy on one side or another and not get an even distribution, but, I could be wrong and it would be something you would have to play with to figure out.

13. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Get a liquid Sprayer!

We can spray 40 FT Across in a single pass! THats like 2 lanes!

14. Mike S

ok sorry it took so long to get the pics of the truck I was talking about but here they are. The truck has 23k miles on it dt466 allison auto tight and pretty clean. it is for sale

P82A0115.jpg

P82A0116.jpg

P82A0117.jpg

P82A0118.jpg

P82A0119.jpg

15. Mike S

one last pic. The truck on the right is one of his off road 6x6 dumps, 10spd with a top speed of 25mph LOL! Its not for sale but it kind of neat.

P82A0120.jpg

16. Philbilly2

and that doesn't waste salt by double coverage in the middle????

17. Mike S

If you look close enough you will see that it dumps on the spinners all the way on there edge. There is very little "double coverage" on this setup up. The spinners turn oppisite of each other and are angled for that also. You can adjust the spinners so they can over lap or do what ever you want. This spreader is not going to be in a lot that a little of overlap is going to matter. This truck is for spreading a runway, warehouse, or other large property in one pass not four. That spreader can really throw some salt under some trailers!!!!

18. Philbilly2

no kidding. well, I guess there are just some things that you have to see with your own eyes to believe. :nod:

19. Not to many in the chicagoland. Do you have control of each spinner or are they tied together. Seems like it would be the way to go more control of spread pattern.

20. Mike S

The spinners are tied together and the conveyors are hooked together. I dont think you could split them without making some mods. The spinners would be easy but there is only one conveyor motor and one shaft.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011