1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual rears

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Angelo, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything good. I was looking into buying a 3500 dodge ram 4x4 with dual rears, my question is how do the dual rears affect snow plowing. This year I will be doing mostly residential plowing, (commercial hopefully next year). i read one post were they said the duals allow for more slipping and kick more snow around. So my questions are is a dually good for plowing, or is it too wide for driveways.
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

For residential it may be a problem being to wide.
    You will need a larger plow as your rear wheels may not be in plowed snow when turning & cause you to get stuck.
    Just hope ya have decent drives. Arround here a 2500 cant make it in some places with the plow on. Just take this into concideration when contracting jobs.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The dualies do spread your weight over more area, that is why you can carry more weight. The result of this is less psi on the surface area (tread print) of the tire, and hence, less traction.

There are a couple ways to overcome this:

1. Load ballast to put more weight on the tires. This doesn't do your truck much good though. If you hit an obstacle while plowing, all that weight will create inertia and add to the likelyhood of causing damage to your truck.

2. Remove the inner wheel assembly from each side for plowing. This gives you the same conditions as a 4x4 pickup, but remember, your load capacity is now limited with the tires removed. If you don't haul much weight during winter months, this would be the ideal way to go.

As for width, the duallies will make things a lot tighter in residential use. This is why I built my flatbed on a SRW chassis, this truck does the residential route. You're more likely to drag the rear tire through your windrow through the turns with the dually. I've used both, the dually is not well suited for residential plowing.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have both a 3500 DRW with 9' plow and a 1500 with 7.5'. Much prefer the smaller one for plowing as it is very much more manuverable which translates into finishing a drive or small lot (typically about 75' x 75') faster. For a larger lot with longer runs, the 9' would probably be better. I use the 3500 mostly for the sander.

That 3500 diesel 4x4 with a 9' plow will definately push an impressive amount of snow, though. The limiting factor on mine last year, for awhile, were the tires losing traction.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge dually pickup is a w-i-d-e machine across the back tires, I agree with Pelican that it's not the best choice for residential plowing. Having said that, it will also depend on what the driveways in your market are like. If there is enough room, the dually will work fine. Around my area it wouldn't be a good choice: the contractor I sub for has a GMC 2500 (regular cab/8' bed) with 7' 6" blade and it is a tight squeeze in some of his residential customers. I have an old GMC dually that's also w-i-d-e across the back but I do commercial (a.k.a "wide open spaces") lots.

For commercial that Dodge is a good unit, with that width across the back wheels you'll need a fairly wide blade (8'6" or 9' if you're running a straight blade) to keep your outside tires from running in the unplowed snow when turning. Blizzard's plow that telescopes from 8' out to 10' might be worth looking into for that truck, since the Dodge will handle it well.
  6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

In my opion dual wheels is not so much for loads and traction, but more for stopping. 2 more tires on the road.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

sno-mover, I don't think my 3500 could handle the reinforced flatbed (3300#), 2 yard sander (975#) with 2 yards of sand (2600#) - total weight = 6875# on only two rear tires rated for 2150# each. Having two more tires on the road has to help for traction, too, which also affects stopping power.
  8. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Thanks for the posts, I think I'll look for a heavy duty 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton 4x4 and hold off on the dodge.
  9. bhadden

bhadden Junior Member

Removing one of the duals for plowing

Question about removing sets of duals: I have a 6x6 military 2 1/2 ton (M35A2) with a 9' Western Heavyweight and I am considering removing one tire from each of the rear duals for plowing. I plow in the mountains of northern New Mexico, for 10 miles off the pavement (when we're not in drought). Pelican said something earlier on this thread about removing the inside wheel, but my gut tells me to remove the outside one. Any thoughts? I've been running with all tires on, and chains outside all the way around.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

By removing the inside wheel, you maintain the wider track of the truck for greater stability through cornering. Remember, you have reduced your load capacity accordingly. On larger trucks, this is easiest with Budd style wheels, with spoked style wheels, you must mount an empty rim to do this.