1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual motor downeaster

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RichterNo1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

I have a dual motor down Easter spreader
    Seams like the spinner motor takes 6 or 7 seconds to get up to speed. Is this normal? The drag chain motor kicks on right away and dumps a bunch of salt on the ground before the spiner speeds up enough to spread the salt

Also doesn't spread nearly as wide as my two other downeaster spreads that have a single electric motor

Anyone have the same experience?

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

The spinner motor which is variable does take a few seconds to get up to speed, that is normal, but the drag chain which is one speed should be coming right on at full speed, it should be a simple on/off switch and the newer ones also have a blast feature on the same switch

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a single motor downeaster 1.5yd spreader so I can't help you with your dual motor situation. If I load up before a storm and wait to salt until after the storm, my spreader won't move the material. It settles and the motor can't overcome the initial force. Every storm I have to manually back spin the spinner for a few minutes and open the chute all way. I may have to do this for the first 2 or 3 properties then it will work fine. It has been a problem since I bought it new. It happens with straight salt or sand/salt mix. With or without the inverted vee installed. I upgraded the motor to a 3/4hp and that has helped a little. I made up a reverse polarity pigtail to run the motor backwards but it isn't strong enough. Downeaster sent me a rubber flap to install in the chute gate but that didn't do anything. Have you ever experienced this type of problem? Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack.

4. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

i have a 1.8 yard dual electric air flow both conveyor and spinner are adjustable i have put 3+ yards on it and she all ways spins right up to speed. the down east are vary high quality sanders, may be there is a bad connection some where or the wire is to small for the length of the run

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

You kinda wonder why it does that. I am sometimes freaked out that it wont keep going. Does yours rotate a fraction for about 3 or 4 clunks then start up? It's been a great spreader so far...love the momentary toggle on the conveyor ...especially nice when I just leave the spinner on to spot salt

6. MGMatt

MGMatt Junior Member

I found the factory harness to be a little wimpy for the size of our dual motor. I just upgraded the harness for the conveyor to 4guage and the spinner to 6guage. Before the upgrade the motors would draw too many amps and trip the circuit breaker. I haven't had any problems with it this year.
    Another thing I would check are your batteries and alt. Make sure that they are Working 100%. Plowing and salting take their toll on the charging system.
    Hope that helps.

When You turn the spinner on does it run at 100% for 10 sec and then slow to the speed its set at? If its not doing that, it might be a controller problem.