1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual gas tanks on a 3500 1 ton dump???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by My bowtie, Mar 26, 2011.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Just picked up a '01 1 ton dump 6.0. Truck has dual gas tanks. I have heard they can be a PITA. What kind of issues do they have ? and what can be done to minimize any issues?
  2. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

The older Fords always had the rear tank rust out. I have seen one GM with the transfer pump crap out but thats it.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The fuel pumps usually go out on them. If everything is working your fine. Just be ready to change fuel pumps, and filters.
  4. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

as mentioned above, it's usually the fuel pump that goes. The problem is that generally, you only suck out of one tank and the second tank has a transfer pump in it that pumps to the first tank. An average reading is taken of both fuel tank's levels and put on your dash. Some guys have run out of fuel because the rear tank is full and the front one empty and they think they still have half a tank left.
  5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Thanks for th info.. Talked to a friend of mine yesterday, and he just had the rear tanks pump stick on and the pressure was to much for the front tank and it split. He had just filled up the nite before too. Little more rust on his truck thou...

Is there any after market single tank system available without loosing capasity???
  6. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

You could always install a fitting in the lower portion of each tank and connect them with a gasoline approved hose. Then at least you always have a physical connection between the two and are not relying solely on an electric pump.