1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A&M Snowplowing, Mar 29, 2006.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

Who has the best Dual Exhaust for a 2500 Ram. I want it to be a dual rear exit.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Flowmaster sounds the best IMO.

3. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I got flowmaster 512's, but with side rear exits. To easy to damage straight out the back by backing into something, and top it off looks factory. JMO :)

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Go with the Flowmaster 50 series muffler exiting 45 degrees out the back. You could go with either the 40 series or 50 series, but because Dodges are loud to begin with and the 40 series is a loud muffler, I'd personally go with the 50 IMO.

5. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Flow Master Scale

:waving: All,
    How does the Flowmaster Scale go, 40 is the loudest 50 not so loud. I want a good rumble but, I don't want it so loud I can't hear myself singing with Miss Rimes xysport Do they have a 60 or 70 series?

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

6. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I know they make something quieter than the 50's. I have a 50 series myself and think its just right. first gear is a bit noisy in the cab but once cruising its barely noticable.

7. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

I recommend a 3" Summit Racing Cat back exhaust kit. Yes, 3" from the Cat back. It comes with a crappy "turbo" single in-dual outlet muffler (actually sounds good on a Dodge) but the entire kit costs $140+shipping which allows you plenty of cash to buy whatever muffler you really want on it. Its a fully mandrel bent system that comes with all the hangers and clamps you need and has a dual outlet straight out the back.

8. DeereFarmer

40 is the loudest. Personally, I loved it on my Chevy, but I know it is not that way for all. I found that there was very little cab noise at highway speeds, unless I wanted there to be:nod: I found I drove with the windows open a lot more, especially the sliding rear in my single cab. I have heard that the 50 is a nice mild tone, but if you really get on it you can hear it. Here is a link that explains everything. It took me close to a year to figure out which muffler I wanted. I know I am crazy, but it was big decison!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

9. DeereFarmer

I have been thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my F250 a little, for sound, not performance. On my Chevy I had duals. I already know that I'll get the Flowmaster 40 again, but I am thinking more of a SI/SO rather than duals to keep the cost down a little. I might just leave the whole system stock except for the muffler or I might put a 4"x22" stainless tip at a 45 degree angle on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. This will really bring my cost down. It would bring me down from $475 for the duals to about $175 for the single. I know some people say you might get +1 HP and maybe 1/10th of a MPG better with duals, but is that it. They are mostly for looks right? Would a single effect the sound too much compared to a dual? Lastly, would it look really dorky if I decided to put a decent tip just on one side?

10. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

First Time Out- A single side exhaust will actually give you the most torque and also allow you to free up your exhaust for gains in HP and gas mileage. Of course we're talking small gains, but definitely better than stock. I personally don't think a single side tip looks dorky as long as you keep it in the stock location and not sticking 4" out from under your truck about to scratch cars that pass you by. :gunsfiring:

11. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

on my old dodge 1500 w/ a 5.2 i had a ravin z-33 muffler and 3 in tips out the back sounded great.. got compliments anywhere i went. now i have an '01 1500 5.9L and and doin just stright pipes from the cat to 3in tips.

12. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the adive. I can't wait to get those huge power and torque gains lol!

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Don't do it, My buds V-10 sounded like crap with Flowmasters, He had them change mufflers from 40's to 50's I think and it still sounded like a ricer, he did too.

That V-10's will never sound good IMO.

14. DeereFarmer

I'll have to do some ivestigating. I heard a V10 a few days back and it sounded great IMO. I hate the ricer sound,. so if that is how it is going to turn out, so much for an exhaust system!

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'll ask my frend what muffelers he had. What ever it was you don't want it. It was OK under load but when you let off if went pop pop pop pop.. Yuck:dizzy:

16. DeereFarmer

That never happened with my Flowmaster 40. I bet he had Dynomax Race Bullets. They are the loudest, so a lot of guys have them, but they are basically just straight pipes, so they pop a lot. That is not what I am looking for. I had a Bullet on my old Ram and it hardly popped, but when it did I got real :realmad: . MY Flowmaster would not pop no matter how hard I tried to make it pop. Please ask him for me just to set my mind at ease. I am not going to be doing this for some time anyways... maybe not until after winter.

17. DeereFarmer

Yaz, did you ever find out what muffler your friend was running?

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I talked to him Tuesday and I forgot to ask. :dizzy: sorry.

He's not like a car freak like me to remember all that useless information, so I bet he will have to find the slips from the work to see exactly. I try to call him today for you and ask him for you.

19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Just left him a message to check on the series mufflers he used for you. As soon as he calls me back I'll let you know.

20. DeereFarmer

Awesome. Thank you so much man!