1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 13, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am looking to put dual exhaust on my truck. I want something that would give a good deep powerful sound, but not be so loud that you can't hear yourself think. I have been thinking about dual Flowmaster 40s with cats, slash cut 4" tips that come out in front of the rear axle. What do you guys think? Have any likes or dislikes?
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

On my last truck I had Magnaflow exhaust with their newest mufflers, forget the name right now, and 4" tips. The truck had a very, very powerful sound when you accelerated, but at idle it wasnt that loud. I loved it. I am goin to put the whole Banks Monster exhaust setup on my F-250 Powerstroke soon with 6" tips. Just another idea...my friend has Flowmasters on his 2000 Chevy and it also sounds great. Let us know what you do.:waving:
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your clients might not like the noise at 3am.
    You can be proud and not be loud.
    And popo, A cop with loud pipes! You need to set a good example. So, pull your self over and start writting...
    A professional is just that.
    If you have a play truck then have at it, but your image is on the line with those loud pipes.
    Now your going to attack me with your old etc etc.. You can stop right there. The pipes on my 68 Charger with a 440 are louder than yours will ever be trust me on this.
    There is a time and place, and it's not in your clients drive at 3am. JMO:waving:
  4. Brett K

Brett K Member

Alot of people get a low to mid rpm drone with flowmasters and their open chamber design, which will also cost you some low end torque. Go with Magnaflows. Low rumble at idle, good sound accelerating, and better performance.
  5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I used the flowmaster muffler that used for a SUV. It sounded very very nice with very little highway drone. On the the same truck I switched the tail pipes out the side. I was tiered of it getting plugged up with snow backing into banks. It changed the sound allot! it was quieter.
    One thing I had one neighbor that wrote down every time I was out plowing and send me a letter... Old *****! I now have a sticker on my window that says TOO LOUD? TOO BAD!

I bought a Diesel since, that must really piss her off!
  6. DeereFarmer

I only do a few residentials and have talked to some of the people that I feel would give me trouble about it. They say that the lights and the plow scraping wake them up anyway, so they really don't care about the pipes. I thought that was pretty cool. I have been looking at Magnaflows and they seem pretty good!
  7. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Exhaust rectangular custom

OOPS rectangular E-pipes Try 2x3 inch rectangular tubing,make 6 to 12 bends.Adjust tone level /back pressure with the bends.Leave muffler laying in bed of truck.so no one cant say you dont have a muffler on your truck.ya its on back.in the bed.SSSH. :redbounce :redbounce
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, your right....here I go. My old truck had mufflers on it so it is 100% legal in the State of Illinois. And let me worry about my customers, my image, and my exhaust......:salute:
  9. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

The 40 series will make your ears ring on the highway, the 50 series will turn heads when you drive by the gas station and will not wake anyone up.
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Look at the Edelbrock RPM mufflers. I have on on my truck, it sounds really good, but not very loud at all. You can tell its not stock, but it wont wake anyone up at 3am either.
  11. DeereFarmer

Great. Keep the info coming. The more likes or dislikes the better. I have wanted really good exhaust my whole life and don't want to get suckered into the wrong thing!:nod:
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have used Dynomax (I think they were called Super Turbo?) on my SBC powered Beaumont. They are nice and quiet yet are obviously not stock. They wake up at full throttle quite nicely, yet highway/city driving they are quite sedate.
  13. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i have a 40 series on my 92 chevy and its louad but not too bad you wanna talk about noisey ride in my 05 hd with 50 series big block mufflers :dizzy:
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

gotta agree with Snofarmer on this one. I don't like trucks that wake up the neighborhood pushing snow, plus it always makes the truck sound like its working a lot harder. I've had a bunch of trucks with headers and dual exhaust, finally grew out of it. A truck has a lot more class when it's not making a lot of racket. I don't like when it sounds like a muscle car, because it isnt. And if it doesnt have a built motor, why try to make it sound like it does? It may sound good that way, but it doesnt make it go any faster. Any time I see and hear a truck go by thats obviously stock but with muscle car noise coming out of it, my first thought is "all pipes, no power". So if you've got something under the hood, by all means let it rip, but dont fake it with exhaust.
  15. derekbroerse

Still not as annoying as those Fart Cans they put on the japanese cars to make them sound powerful.... :rolleyes:

Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht! Shift. Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht! Shift.
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is nothing you can put on a rice burner to make it sound good!!!
    That rice burner needs 4 more cylinders to sound Good!!!.. lol:drinkup:
  17. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

You know, I hate ricer tuner import sport compact whatever you want to call them, as much as the next grown up, but I will say that if they actually spend the time and money under the hood to make them fast, then I've got plenty of respect for them. However, 99 out of 100 are nothing more than a big gay tailpipe to make it sound sort of like a ricer racer. And I don't understand how they can think they look cool, after all it's just mom's hand-me-down sub compact, with a bunch of cheesy looking plastic ground effects that do nothing. And how hard is it to make a car that weighs nothing go fast?
    Which reminds me, have you guys seen the video of the big diesel Ford spanking an RX-7? If not, I can probably find a link to it. Big older body style Ford pickup, big lift and 36 inch tires, running a full-tilt bombed Cummins 12 valve diesel. Most insane acceleration you ever saw. I think it ran a low 11 second 1/4 mile. There can't be many things cooler than a big diesel 4x4 flat outrunning a sports car.
  18. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

I have Gibson dual exhaust on my Dodge Hemi and it sounds perfect...not too loud and not too stock sounding. A buddy of mine has flowmaster on his and it's obnoxiously loud. But I guess it's all about preference. Let us know what u decide. By the way a good website is www.stylinconcepts.com
  19. derekbroerse

I would LOVE to see that.

There is a big difference between the tuner crowd and the ricer crowd... the vast majority are ricers. Funny how its gone from cubic inches to cubic dollars to go fast... :dizzy:
  20. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member