1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Exhaust, Strait Piped or Stock...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Dec 9, 2002.

?

What kind of EXHAUST system do you run on your truck(s)?

1. Stock system (no mods)

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Dual exhaust

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Exhaust Stacks (rob)

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Just a preformance muffler (flowmaster exc..)

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. non oem exhaust systems are annoying

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering how many contractors run duals on their trucks?

My new truck has a big block and 2 1/2" duals thru 12" glasspacks & 5" tips, she barks when I lay on the gas.

anybody think they are annoying?

~Nate~

2. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Yes I think they are annoying for plowing, and I'm sure your customers don't appreciate it. I have dual exhaust on my F350 v10 but its more for looks than anything.

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Duals

When the OEM exhaust goes bad, then I put Duals on :waving:

I can't see cutting off a good exhaust just to make it duals ;) but I'm older now :( You know older & wiser but when I was 18 I did take a new truck & put on headers & dual pipes-glasspacks but it also had dual straight bypass cut-outs :nono: & that's noisy.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Banks exhaust 4 inch turbo back with a 5 inch tip:drinkup: on my 2500HD Duramax

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Rabid garbage truck

4 inch downpipe,into 5 inch straight pipe out behind rear tires.No muffler.Neighbours run to put out the garbage when ever I pull onto my street. :)

Will be going to dual 5 inch stacks whenever I get my flatbed finished.Cummins will sound real nice barking through those.

6. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Upstacks out the front, I would not recommend this for a plow
    truck, but my truck is used in the fields in the summer.

Unless you have a diesel, exhaust has to be out the front or
    they get into the wheat stubble and start fires.

A little noisy, and if you have the window down blow by comes
    back at ya. Specially with the Dodge 440 under the hood!!

Looks pretty cool in the cold air though.

7. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

stock exhaust for now but when it wears out gonna go with smog legal headers, straight to the back with glass pacs in the middle somewhere, I have found that if you put the glass packs about 4 feet from the end with straight pipe out just past the bumper, you get the best sound and it doesnt kill your ears when runnin

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Re: Rabid garbage truck

Let me know if you want a set for real reasonable, I have 5" slant cut tip 48" long double chrome plated for $165 a pair + shipping. if anyone else wants a set e-mail me, ncls484@aol.com

~Nate~

stacks.jpg

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

My first plow truck had glasspacks. Yeah, it sounded cool, but 12 or 14 hours of plowing is tiring as it is. The extra noise for all those hours just makes it moreso...

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Ive got an aluminized Edelbrock RPM series cat-back dual kit, and a custom cat-forward kit, including Flowtech A/B headers, much more power, removed the catatlytic converter (lack of emissions inpesction) and it sounds throaty, but not obnoxious.
    The aluminized pipe is nice because it resists rust, i would have gotten stainless, but it was too expensive.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I put a straight piped stack on my flatbed, it really makes the turbo sing! I plan the same for my 550, but it has stock exhaust for now...

12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I like to hear the plow scraping across the pavement and nothing else.:D
    I dont feel I need to announce my presence at 3 am when I'm doing a residential driveway. I just spent a few bucks to quiet down my truck.

I dont even have a working radio in my plow truck:eek:

Mark K

13. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

i actually dont like to use the radio either when i plow

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I dont crank mine up, but i do keep it on for some kind of tunes, it keeps me from becoming a zombie on those long lonely nights, aaarrrgghh! lol

15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

That's another good point. I turn the radio down and roll down the window so I can hear the salt coming out of the spreader. It never had a spreader, but if it had I'm not sure I could have heard it so well on that old GMC.

16. Big Nate's Plowing

BTT

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  17. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot Banned
    from MN

i don't think many people would like me driving by their windo at 3 in the am with me making any more noise then i do