1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Battery?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snoaway, Dec 17, 2007.

1. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

So i replaced my main battery this weekend with a little larger battery from interstate. And i am wondering if i should change the other battery to the same as the new battery. If you could help me out with this one that would be great!!
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Both batts should be the same age and size.
  3. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

Alright sound good thats what i thought i just wanted to run it by someone else...Thanks
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Any time.....
  5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

What SnoFarmer said. Otherwise the new battery's life wiil be shortened by the parasitic draw from the other battery.
  6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

i was always told both batteries should be changed
  7. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I put dual batteries in an 68 Chevy I had about 25 years ago and I wired them up with solenoids. I could switch to right, left, or both. Never left truck sit with both on. At the time I was told to do this way to prevent one from discharging the other. Work real well.
  8. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

all batteries changed simultaneously in any equipment. <--- period.
    that is, if you want longest life and max performance from your equipment.
  9. racer67x

racer67x Junior Member

I did the same kinda thing on my '97 Chevy Dually..it came with one battery but had the box and wire for a second one.
    I hooked up the second one with a solenoid activating it like you said,put an amp gauge to monitor it under the dash,then ran all my plow wiring off it.
    noticed that when I'd leave it off awhile in the summer months it would discharge..realized the gauge was slowly killing it.
    added another switch for the gauge and it works great!
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Forget the solenoid or any switches.
    This defeats the reason for the two batts.
  11. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I AM thinking about adding a second battery to my Wrangler. Do you just hook the second one up in parallel to the first one? (example: positive terminal of battery 1 to positive terminal of battery 2, neg. terminal of battery 1 to negative terminal of battery2)

Is that all there is to it?
  12. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Yep, positive to positive or you're creating a 24 volt system.... and remember hook the negative up last and make sure the terminals are treated. I like the battery terminal spray protector, lasts a long time, especially on a new batt. or cable. Penetrox works very well too negative to your ground (chasis) use it all the time at work 4 copper and aluminum.

Hope that helps.:waving: