1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Conmancounty, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 with the dual battery set-up from the factory. I am not getting the proper amps to the other battery from the alternator. It is running about 13 from the alt and 14 to 15 to the primary battery. I've had the baterries check and the alt also checked. It has the 6.0 motor. Any ideas what might be the problem is. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bad ground, bad wires, clean the contacts.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's got a solenoid controlling the 2nd batt correct? If so then you should think about getting rid of it

4. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

This is the first truck that i have had with dual battery so this is all new to me. So the solenoid were would that be located at? I am going to try to clean the connections first and see if that helps.

5. dieselss

Pass side on the firewall near the batt

6. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

Ok i found that. can i just connect the two ends together and not create any other problems?

7. SnowGuy73

Its there for a reason and cheap to replace.

8. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

Is this a local parts store item or dealer?

9. SnowGuy73

I like oem bit to each is own.

If you need it today I'd say parts store because the sealer most likely isn't open.

10. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

Ok ty I would rather fix it right than not and have something else go wrong because I want to be lazy. Ty

11. SnowGuy73

Good plan, that's my way of thinking today.

12. dieselss

Get rid of that solenoid. The factory dual batt setup is a joke. And the wires that run to it and way to small. For now if your dying to have it, hook the 2 pos cables to one post and call it a day for now

13. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

I think I got it figured out the connection needed cleaning. I am still going to check on some new parts. Thank you for all the input. I will keep you all informed what happens.

14. SnowGuy73

Of you don't have dielectric grease to put on the connections use fluid film or even Vaseline.