1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual battery?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by clicknark22, Feb 11, 2011.

1. clicknark22

clicknark22 Junior Member

i have an 03 f-250 i want to add a second battery into the truck because i have a lot of power draw on my battery with the plow sander all the strobe lights and auxiliary lighting and also the stereo in the truck. how do i go about doing this and what stuff do i need to get?
  2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Adding a second battery is only going to make matters worse. A second battery does not create power, it stores it. A second battery is another load that needs to be addressed. What you need is a high output alternator. DO NOT go with a remanufacted one as it is not the right type for your application. Remanufactured = same size case with more windings. This translates to more heat, add a constant draw like you have now and it is a recipe for a dead vehicle right when you need it the most. A purpose built alternator is one that you should have, one that provides as much charge as possible at low idle. Most alternators will not provide current at low idle. Here are two links that you need to follow up on. While they are car audio related, they are 100% related to plowing as well. I wrote one of them many years back, perhaps I should update it for this site.

3. clicknark22

clicknark22 Junior Member

that makes sense thanks for the advice! i will try it out