1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual battery setups

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terrapro, Oct 6, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i am rigging up an extra battery in the toolbox in my bed. i am wondering what everyone elses setup is for a dual battery. do you rig it up under the hood, in cab, truck bed, tool box, throw it on the seat next to you?

pics of setups would be cool to!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do,what kind of truck is it?

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

88-98 body style chevy/gmc TBI engine. i might mount it under the hood if i dont pick up the pull plow ive been eyeing.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For the batt tray you can use the second tray for the diesel models.
    This will make installation easier.
    That's what I did on my dodge

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

On that model the parts are extremely cheap. I think I paid 30 for the tray and holdown bracket and the hardware to install.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

under the hood is the best way to go... the shorter your bat cables the better effect the second battery will have. Even if you put over sized cables on it, the distance is still a big factor. I know if i ever have to jump start my dodge CTD, i cant jump it from battery two, only from the first battery , i know it sounds weird, but the power draw is just too much,