1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Battery Setups lets see em

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JeepPlow18, Oct 21, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I was thinking about putting a dual battery setup in my truck. Just wanted to know what it looks like and what I need to get the job done. Thanks Mike

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Main battery is on the far side of the pic, front of engine bay, second is right in front of the camera, front of engine bay......my truck had the second tray when i bought it because my truck has the camper package (worthless for me) it also has an isolator for the second battery but i unplugged that (again worthless for what i want to do). The battery is wired in series.....there was an immediate difference when i started the truck the first time after putting in the second battery, MUCH easier to start and run electrical equipment! :) If you have any questions or want more pics of something, let me know!!! BTW, a post on the AC compressor made a great ground for the second battery :)

IMG_1157.JPG

3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I added the 2nd battery to mine last year and set it up similar to you. A buddy of mine owns a car audio shop in Souther NH and that makes it convenient for wiring jobs.

I was just talking to him yesterday though and saying that I want to run a wire from the alt directly to my 2nd battery and explaining my reasoning. Did you do this?

I think it will help with battery drain and operating the plow quickly. Charge that 2nd battery directly rather than relying on that one wire from Battery A to Battery B.

4. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I connected the positives, then ran a 2 awg wire from the atl. to each of the positives with a 200 amp fuse near the alt.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Ok im definitely going for the dual setup, but for now im going to have only one. What would you guys recommend. Im guessing optima because thats the most expensive lol.

7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

no odyssey batteries are kickin.

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

you mean parallel, or are you using two 6v batteries?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the Optima's are good but Odysseys's are the best! And not because they're the most expensive...:D

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure MCW meant they're wired in parallel.. his truck isn't 24 volt either... or maybe it is! :D

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Whats an estimated cost to properly run dual batteries? My 98 has a single duralast with 875cc amps and a 105 amp alternator. I have the second batter tray on the drivers side already but no wiring, no second battery, etc.

12. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

al depends on the batterys. two red tops cost bout 300 plus another 30-40 for the heavy cable.

so......... like I said if you use cheap batteries then it will be half that.

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I have two duralast golds from autozone 900 amp & I would not trade them for 4 optimas.
    I used to own a car stereo shop and we used optimas once in a while and they never proved to me they were worth the money.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just to get this straight I need 2 of the same batteries, cable (4ga? and would an autoparts store have the cable I need?) and then wire them pos to pos and neg. to neg? They will be for running the plow, lights, radio, etc. no reason for an isolator right? Those of you with obs chevy's what did you ground the second battery to? Sorry for beating this topic to death again, just want to make sure I got my list right before I break out the wallet.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

pos.to pos. and neg. to ground........ground to AC compressor like i did, or just the empty mount if you've got it....no isolator

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just follow MCW's instructions and you'll be good to go.. as to cables, 2 gage would be best but 4 will work too..your better parts stores will have the 2 gage cable..you can either by it by the foot and install the ends yourself, or some places will crimp them on for you, or you can buy the ready made cables with the type of ends you need for your application already attached. Another very good idea while your doing this is to upgrade the charging wire from the alternator to the battery's to a 4 gage cable and add an extra 4 gage ground between the frame and the engine.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Whats the difference between regular automotive batteries and hd batteries for larger trucks? I noticed that I can get a 900cca hd battery (farm&fleet brand) for about $10 less than a 850cca auto battery (everstart) and they both were the same overal size. Where would I find the cable that goes to the alternator and the ground for it? Srry, kinda new to the electrical stuff.

18. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just dropped a 700cca in the second tray and hooked up my new plow to it, I then ran
    a 30amp circuit breaker to the fused 40amp accessory connection to keep it charged.
    now if I want I can pull the accessory fuse 40amp and use the power trailer connection
    with no fear of having a dead starting battery

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Generaly, the HD truck batteries are built to a higher standard and are designed to take the punisment that they would see in that type of enviorment.
    Just use the same cable and ends that you'd use to make the battery cables out of.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

MCW, what size (cca) are your batteries? I just measured my tray and I don't think either the hd truck batteries or the everstarts will fit in my little plastic trays, they are slightly larger than normal. For running dual batteries whats the minimum that I should go with? (105amp alt. radio. lights, lighbar. heat, plow,etc)