1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by caz41, Jan 10, 2006.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I got my secondary battery tray installed on my 99 Chevy 2500 (6.0L) today. After doing some measurements, I noticed that with the brace above the tray, and with and other parts of the tray, that the only size battery that I could fit in there was 10" long, 7" wide, and 6" high. I looked and there is only one battery that I found that would fit in there and it was not very big. Am I supposed to remove the cross member, or is there something I'm missing here?

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, that brace gets removed (it's not there on the diesels). I even cut the sheet metal tab that the brace bolts to coming off the firewall.

See THIS link.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Also, a standard (whats on the other side) group 34/78 is the size you need.

4. caz41

caz41 Member

TLS, thanx for the reply and the link, it was really helpful. Here is my only question, which may sound stupid, but I'm not much of a wrencher and just don't want to mess anything up. You went from the aux. battery to the drivers side solenoid and not to the primary battery? Where did you go with the ground from the aux. batter? Thanx again.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No, look close....the wires get hidden from the camera a bit.. It's + to + and - to - and a ground from the aux direct to the passenger side head.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  6. caz41

caz41 Member

So you are going from battery to battery then. How did you connect the two wires coming together on the primary battery? Do they splice to one connector?

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

YES.

Here is how I did it on a similar pic only on the other battery.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  8. caz41

caz41 Member

ok thanx a bunch

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. Glad to help.

Just a FYI.... your truck....technically isn't a HD.

It was a K-2500

The term "HD" didn't start until 2001 with the NBS trucks.

Yours is a C/K style truck.

Not that it's NOT Heavy Duty (it certainly IS!), just that you may be confusing some people by having that HD at the end.

10. caz41

caz41 Member

Are you using 2 or 4 gauge wire? And does it make a difference if you go to the top terminal versus the sides?

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm almost 100% sure it's 2 guage. I KNOW the + red wire is definately 2 gauge.

Side or top, or any combination doesn't matter.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I like using the top terminals on a duel post battery, only so I can use the side terminals to power accessories. Like snow plows, salters, DVDs, MP3, satellite radio, 12v/110 inverter, and the prerequisite lit bobble head:rolleyes: