1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual battery question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I installed 2 matching 1000 cca batteries in my Jeep. With one battery whenever I raised the plow the volts would drop, well now with 2 batteries it still drops. Is this normal? I guess I was expecting the volts to not drop ,but since this is my 1st plow I have no idea.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the volt meter will still show a drop, but you are taking less out of each battery vs. only having one.

3. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

Two Better Than One

I Have A Jeep And Run One 1000 Cca Battery And Would Have The Same Problem I Just Purchased Duall Optimas Deep Cycle And Im Ready To Install Just Figuring Which Way Im Going To Wire Them Most Likely Just Run Them Paralell, So It Acts As A Big Battery, I Let U Know How Mine Works.

Ps.smitty 58 How Did U Wire Your Dual Batterys

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If they're connected in parallel, you really shouldn't see much of a hit. Maybe your plow motor needs some work?

Also, check and clean all your grounds, and connectors.

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Thanks, the way I wired it is: battery #1 - ground from motor to neg and pos to source. # 2 - ground from motor to neg and pos from battery #1 to pos on battery #2. Is that the correct way to do it?

6. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Would it make any sense to put in a battery switch. I have dual batteries in my boat and I can switch to the #1 battery or the #2 battery or the #1&2 batteries. I just switch between them each time I use the boat and they both stay charged. The #1&2 position is for if they both get low and you need a little from both. When you run them parallel then if they go dead then they are both dead right? Just a thought.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You could go with a switch like that, however, it seems like it may be overkill.

With todays trucks having battery rundown protection, the chances ofunknowingly killing your batteries is reduced greatly. When the batteries give up, its time to replace them. I feel batteries last longer when hooked direct in a dual system.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

all it is in parelell is just like have a bigger battery pumping out more amps. i am wiring my kit for an isolater right now. I have lights and other stuff i use when the truck isn't on and have run the bat dead a few times. With the iso i can just switch to the sec battery and fire it up. I also know of a few people that run two in parelell then have another one on iso. I would if i had the cash

9. godfather039

godfather039 Junior Member

Would replacing the alternater with a highter amp one do the job?

10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes and no, dual batteries is always desirable for plowing for better overall performance and reserve capacity (if alt fails) and if you upgrade alt a lot, you new to upgrade wiring too.

11. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

hey tls not to flame you but the battery rundown protection only works for headlights +dome lights--unless you're running a snow bear and have it wired into your dome light circuit :)

12. Tarkus

Very good point. :waving:

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What else are you going to unknowingly leave on that will drain your battery? I've done it a few times in my life (and parents life as a kid) and it's always been interior lights or headlights left on unintentionally.

14. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

just finished dual optima install

i finished installing dual yellow tops in my jeep i have a plow, and i still have voltage drop when i put my heat on and my light will still dim when i hit my plow switch i really thought the dual setup would have helped a little but i really see no difference.

15. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

the fans in most trucks draw alot of amps on high -i have a triple batt setup and they still dim-(i have two batts in parallel in a custom box in the bed-truck is set up to go camping and has a 3000 watt inverter in it)

16. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

when i decided to add a second battery to my truck for plowing, I didn't run them in parallel. Instead I installed a second alternator. Now I have one alternator that charges the truck battery and operates all the stock vehicle electronics and the second alternator and battery operates only the plow. This setup has completely eliminated my headlights from dimming as there are now two totally seperate circuits. I also installed a switch and relay that connects the two batteries in case i get a dead battery or one of the alternators fails, thus i can still plow even with a failure in one of the circuits. It works great so far.

17. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The electric motor on my plow is bigger than the starter motor on the 350 that is under the hood. So hitting the up or angle button roughly equates to a load similar to starting the engine every time you angle or lift the blade. Unless you come up with a way to generate 200 amps at idle you will always have a voltage drop when operating the plow. Even then you would still see a momentary drop before the Alt. kicks in.

18. Tarkus

Do not let the small size of the starter on your newer 350, it still uses a lot of power. Plow motors usually average between 100 and 150 amps in draw.

19. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

My point was (and still is) that an electric plow pump draws a lot of juice for relatively short bursts.

20. Tarkus

Very true but nowhere near what the starter does. On a gas engine it can hit 400 to 500 amps or more with a V8 and on a diesel it can exceed 1000 amps when cranking.