1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual battery isolator

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dfrommi, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dfrommi

dfrommi Junior Member

hello new to the forum. we are running into issues with plows at my work.
    i would like to add a dual battery setup with a battery isolator.

i need a simple correct way of setting up a aux battery only for the plow lights and a salter+what ever else down the road. just bought a 120 amp 4 wire alt for a chevy 350 vortec
    also have a SurePower 120 Amp Battery Isolator [​IMG]

if i hook up the system by the instructions on http://www.surepower.com/pdf/180012n.pdf
    (special instructions for group 2) will the aux battery be over charged? if not what is keeping it from over charging?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The simplest and most reliable way to have two batteries is to simply wire them in parallel with 2 gauge welding wire. That will give your plow the most available power. If you want the batteries isolated, use a relay/contactor such as Trombetta. You need continuous duty, 200 amp capacity or better.

The isolator you pictured will work, and will not overcharge your battery, but they use quite a bit of power, and usually create a voltage drop. Not recommended for a plow truck.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might try using the search function on the blue line above.
    Search: Duel batteries, charging, etc. There is hours of reading on it. We beat it to death here every month and I post this every 2 days at least. It's quicker then waiting for people to answer your question.