1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Battery Install Instructions for a Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by streetfrog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

I would not tie an new battery to an old one for any extended period of time as they will drain each other back and forth. I would just let it be till you get both, it has been working this long.

2. OneManWithAPlow

OneManWithAPlow Senior Member

Yes but I installed plow wiring on the passenger side. For the solenoid at least. So either I activate the back up truck, or I run the plow off of a standalone secondary battery. It also will not be an extended period of time, maybe tops 6 hours. not worth the risk? Both batteries should have been here by now but there was a shipping issue on the second battery even though they were ordered at the same time...

3. Philbilly2

I would say with the cost of an Optima, I would not tie the two together for any time. If you snag another lead from your alternator and charge and run that battery doing the plow on its own, you should be fine.

I am sure someone else will chime in and say that I am wrong, I just know you can kill a good battery in a hurry if it is hooked to an old one. Would hate to see you wreck a $200 battery.

4. OneManWithAPlow

Thank you. I will hold off until Saturday and see if the other battery arrives early by any Chance. If not I will run the secondary alternator cable to the aux battery temporarily.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my aux has my led flasher and snowplow i think

6. OneManWithAPlow

Recently finished a dual battery setup. Upon starting the vehicle truck is fine. When accelerating there is a strange whining noise and I haven't been able to figure out where it is coming from. Is this normal? Any ideas? I followed the posts recommendations and ran two optima red top 34/78s. I ran the ground from above the firewall middle driver side to the alternator mounting bolt as seen in the pictures. Is this a problem?

https://imgur.com/a/mAWXV

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

7. Philbilly2

Have you tied shutting your radio off?

8. OneManWithAPlow

Radio was off. I kept it off to listen for the noise.

9. PLOWMAN45

what about postive to postive and negative to negative ?

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This with the ground you have.

Also did you coil up any of the wires?

11. OneManWithAPlow

I apologize, but I don't know what this means.

12. PLOWMAN45

all im saying if i could listen to the radio that would drive me nuts

13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

14. PLOWMAN45

wtf is B W A

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

But Who Am I

took an attitude a few years back, try and give the best info i can, or quote the best info i can, and you can take it or leave it!...not going to argue about it

Thumbs Up :laughing:

FredG likes this.
  16. PLOWMAN45

i never heard that saying but whatever i guess

leolkfrm likes this.
  17. OneManWithAPlow

Redid all of my wiring, went with OFC instead of CCA and got everything nice and tight with die electric, got my grounds good checked all my connections etc.

When i operate my plow, i still get dimming of any lights that are on. Running two red top optimas, 1/0 gauge wire, fused both batteries, everythings grounded with the stock alternator after following advice in original post. My dome light dims, dash lights dim, and headlights dim..any suggestions?

18. PLOWMAN45

is alternator in good shape

19. Philbilly2

Have you tested the amp draw on the plow motor?

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Your going to get some dimming. With it running, what is your voltage? Then while operating the plow, what does the voltage drop to?