1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Oct 6, 2000.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 1998 GMC K-2500 with a Diamond electric plow. Do you guys recommend dual batteries? The truck has a spot for the second battery. Is it easy to install the second one (splicing of wires???) Is a switch needed for each battery or does the 100 amp alternator charge both at the same time?
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It's always better to have a second battery with the electric plow set up but a bigger altinater would be better to.I have a '97 K25 diesel Diamond electric Whelen light bar and a 10cu ft sander electric .Not all are running at once well the light bar is always on but they are strobes and don't use to much juice if i had a gas job i would go for the second battery but mine came with the two.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We used to use dual batteries but now we just make sure we have 120amp alternators and we haven't had a problem,but if you have a spot for two why not.(was this truck a diesel?)
  5. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

We've been running Duracell twin D batteries for about 4 years w/out any problems. Digger's been running AAA and has to wind his trucks up every couple of hours or so.
  6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Oh yeah!!!, with gas prices the way they are I can go further on one winedup of my truck than you can on ten gallons of gas As far as the aaa batteries go we've switched to 9volt it gives us the extra power to run the bigger v plows,the problem is were to put all six hundred of them.
  7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It just keeps going, and going, and going, and going......

Now... just where do you store that bunny ???
  8. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Unfortunately, that bunny tasted much like chicken.