1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual batteries

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Henry0016, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Henry0016

Henry0016 Member

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a dual battery kit for a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0?
    Any info would be great!:salute:

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I think you'll have to get the try from the dealer. Cables can be too much.. Replace both batteries !!

3. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Let me know if you find out anything on this. I am interested in doing this as well.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A couple of cable ends. lol:waving:

Remember, you do NOT want to use a battery isolator for plowing.
    Hook them together directly. + to+ & -- TO--.

What is in this "kit"?

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I meant battery tray, not try. opps

Yes, plus to plus and negative to negative is the way to go. This doubles the amperage, but both batteries have to be exactly the same size and age to do it right.

6. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Yeah...I know all about parallel and series... I was just wondering more about mounting it. I didnt know if you could get a tray for it or not.

7. ipc

ipc Junior Member

It's easy to do. You can go to GM and get a new tray for about $45. Order a left side tray for a diesel . It bolts right in. When you wire your batts remember to also add the aux grounds from the extra batt. 1 to the engine, 1 to the body. This is very important as it will not charge properly otherwise. Some times you have to move a aux tool box first but I have done this to all my plow trucks.

8. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

When you get dual batteries from the factory are they hooked up positive to positive, negative to negative like you guys have suggested?
    Favatts

9. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

From the factory there are 2 dual battery options. One is as above pos to pos and neg to neg. This is how all diesls are hooked up and is the best system for plowing.
    The other factory option uses an isolator on the second battery. This is good for trailer, inverter use where you don't want to drain the starting battery but want both to charge.
    The rpo code for the dual battery isolator is 8BO and for the dual battery parrall hook up is TP2.

10. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I have dual batteries in my 01 2500HD Are they already hooked together?

11. joe b

joe b Junior Member

Yes,
    If you wire in parallel ie. pos to pos/ neg to neg, and your batts are 600cca each you have one big 12volt battery with 1200cca. If you wired them in series pos to neg, truck ground to neg, truck pos to pos. you would have a 24 volt 600cca battery. so unless your truck says catapillar on the side. wire them parallel.

12. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

If you have 2 batterys they must be hooked together. If not you could not charge both off one alternator. It is just a question of how they are hooked together. See my above post, look in your glove box, and see what RPO code is listed. That will tell you how they are hooked up.

13. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Hi I looked under the hood on my 2001 2500 HD I think there is no space can you tell me how you did it and do you have pictures.

14. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Dutchman- here is a pic of a 2001HD2500 with dual battery set up. You can see one in the front right and the back left. Hope this helps. doug

trucks (Small).jpg

15. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Thanks Doug that will help

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When you put in your second battery did you have to remove the brace that was on there. On my 06 there is a brace which is supporting the fender there which is preventing me from putting a battery there.

17. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Hi, my dual batteries came that way new. Maybe the battery tray helps support the fender a little? doug

18. markq

markq Member

Just remove the brace. I did this on my '04 and the tray bolted right in. It was a liitle difficult figuring out a way to secure the battery so that it didnt move but still cleared the hood when closed, but it can be done.

I agree with everyone else on hooking up + to + and - to -, but it might not be bad to use an isolator when the truck is off....

I have mine setup with a 200A relay that connects the batteries when the key is turned. This makes sure that I get the extra amps, and also makes sure that the batteries both stay charged, but if the main battery runs down, I can still start with the second battery. Also I run my lights sometimes with the truck off - since they are connected to the second battery if I should happen to run the battery down, I will still have the main to start the truck with.

Just another option - oh, and its a REALLY good idea to get identical batteries for this.

19. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I picked up a battery isolator/combiner from Hellroaring for my dual battery setup. It has a switch so you can combine the two batteries, so both power the plow, or so if the main battery dies you can still start the truck. In normal operation it isolates the batteries, so you can use different rating/age batteries and not worry about them discharging each other.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you flip the switch and "combine" them you need to have the same "rating/age batteries"
    The way your describing your set up will be only as good as the weakest/smallest battery is when "combined".
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

markq

I agree with everyone else on hooking up + to + and - to -, but it might not be bad to use an isolator when the truck is off....

I have mine setup with a 200A relay that connects the batteries when the key is turned. This makes sure that I get the extra amps, and also makes sure that the batteries both stay charged, but if the main battery runs down, I can still start with the second battery. Also I run my lights sometimes with the truck off - since they are connected to the second battery if I should happen to run the battery down, I will still have the main to start the truck with".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is true. But you have not supplied more power for the plow, an isolator defeats the purpose of the second battery.

You want the plow to have readily available amps, lots of them. The only way to do this is to have the batts working together to run the plow.

The two batts will have enough reserve to run your lights for a while with the truck off too.
    But why turn the truck off, let it idle, it is easer on it than restarting it all of the time.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006