1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Charles, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Do any of you change both batteries when one battery goes bad? Lets say the old one is around 4 years old. What is the harm in not changing both?

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Always change them in pairs. If you dont then you will ruin the new battery....Rob

3. Charles

Ok, thats what the guy at the shop said. Just wanted to check and see if he wasn't trying to just sell me something else--thanks!

4. ITs true.....and make sure that they MATCH!!! (in amps)

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

If you dont change out both, I've heard that you could explode a battery because the charging cycles are the same. Thats what I've heard at least, if theres any truth to it I dont know.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes change them both
    Do a search on dual batteries, there have been some good threads, with some excellent information on just this topic.

7. Charles

I only ran the new one with the old one for 15 minutes after buying it. I took the old one out this morning and replaced it with the exact same battery. They said the old one was "Unstable" too anyway

8. Brookside

Brookside Member

Couldn't resist throwing this in to stir the pot. Our '98 Chevy K3500 7.4L came with two batteries, and at four years the primary battery pooped out. I replaced it, and at 8 years the secondary battery still has the green eye and all systems are go.

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Green eye only means the cell that it is attached to is good, the rest of the cells in the battery could be bad.

10. Charles

Yea, mine still had the green eye and it tested as "unstable"

11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Same thing happened to me. I tested my batteries and one tested bad. The green eye was still showing, thought I was losing my mind. Took it to the the local Chevy stealer and it was bad.