1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gman2310, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Do most of you guys run dual batteries for your plows. It just seems like one doesnt do it for me.

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I'm going to be adding a second one. I don't have my lights or anything on yet and it seems a little weak. My buddy who does car electronics told me to hook the plow up to the second battery and it should take care of my problem.

3. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I just installed a 2nd battery in my truck and it makes a big difference. I still get a drop in my voltage but it doesn't drop below 12v and before it would drop to about 11.5v with a very noticable light flicker. I still get the lights dimming but its much better than before.

I did a little bit of searching on this site about the 2 batteries and some mentioned adding in an isolater for the battery but most said you really wouldn't need it. I chose not to but the isolator in and haven't noticed any problems

4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

When I was running the stock battery (i assume the original one)... the plow was tough going. Low voltage situations all the time.

I did a lot of debate on putting in a dual battery setup. Instead I decided to TRY a new battery.

A stop at walmart, and I bought the biggest battery I could find.. a 1000 CCA Everstart. Only $58.

Ever since its been great. I never get low-voltage situations, and I run 2 55w halogen backup lights, a dual rotator, heater on full blast, mirror heaters, radio, headlights, and usually charging my cellphone.

In my situation it was $58 well spent.

I may still put in a dual battery setup next year, since I would expect to have to change that $58 battery in one year. Just seems smarter.

Glen

5. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I had a walmart battery which I believe was their biggest and it was only 1 year old. Going with the second battery cost about $125 but that's because I got the battery at Auto Zone but then I had to get the cable and make up a positive cord myself so that added a couple bucks to the cost.

I'm glad I did it though makes a big difference.

6. wddodge

wddodge Member

I've run dual Interstate 900 cca batteries for about the last 10 years. Before the dual batteries, I'd go thru alternators about one every two years. Now I still have the original alt in a '95 truck that I started plowing with in '98.

Denny

7. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

8. akayii

akayii Junior Member

Big difference

I have new 7 1/2' Curtis on my 98 Chevy Z71 Silverado. Ran into same problems... big voltage drop and started frying altternators. I just went to a dual battery set up and a high output (155 amp) alt. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You'll still get a voltage drop with all things being elec/hydraulic, but not as severe. We just got over 30" of snow yesterday and no prob. at all. Well worth the money.

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Where do you guys mount the second battery? Is there a kit somewhere with a second platform? I just got an f-350 and looking under the hood I can't find another place for a battery. Is there a relocation? I will be running strobes and other thing next winter so I figured I would want this.
    Thanks

10. Xtra

Xtra Member

My '04 F-350 has dual batteries (and dual alternators - it's a diesel). The batteries are located behind each headlight. Go to your local Ford dealer, they can order you the extra battery mount.