1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hfdresq1, Jan 19, 2005.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

I just recently purchased a 97 chevy 2500 with a brand new 8' boss plow. It has a single battery doing all the work. My old truck, an 87 chevy k20 had a dual battery set up. Would i be better off going with the dual battery system in the new truck or will one battery suffice? I am leaning toward adding the battery but if i don't really need it then why bother. I noticed tonight as i was hooking up for another round that i was getting a bit of a draw on the volt meter, enough to make the lights dim and not sure if it's the battery or the alternator.
  2. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I dont think dual batteries are needed. A single good battery with a 100 to 130 amp alt is all I have ever needed. Boss 9.2 V, Blizzard 810, and Meyer plows.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i have a v plow wich uses alot of power movin the wings all the time, have an 8 strobe light bar, 1000watt amp for speakers , heater on high , lights on and usually my cell phone charging.all on while plowing. all i have is a 1000cca battery and stock alt. no problems here
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The dodge probably has a 130 amp factory alt. :)
  6. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I have a new Chevy HD with 145 amp alternator and 1 battery. It doesn't run the plow for sh!t!! :angry: Needs another battery or perhaps a larger monster single battery :nod: