1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by emeraldgreen, Dec 2, 2004.

1. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

I have seen some discussion lately about running 2 batteries. Although I have plowed for many years at the golf course where I worked, this is my first year plowing for myself. I am wondering what is the benefit of using dual batteries, and do I need them to run my plow, spreader control, and aux back-up lights?
    Thanks for your input.

Bob

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I wouln't say you NEED one, but the reserve capacity is doubled when you have them hooked direct. Truck starts quicker in the deep freeze, lights don't dim as much when you hit the plow.

If your thinking about replacing a SINGLE battery this fall/winter, seriously consider switching to directly connected duals. Aux battery trays are available for almost all big 3 trucks. And all you'll need is a few lengths of heavy gauge wire and some nice ends crimped on. You want both batteries to be purchased at the same time and be of the same size (group).

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Though not a bad idea not a must do, You just do not want to mix maintance free with non maintain free (not really a issu though since most are maintance free these days) because maintainance free have slightly higher charge voltage. I am fixin to replace a set now that is over 5 years old (still works) and they are not matched either.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If your buying 2 at the same time, you'd be dumb not to match them. :rolleyes:

5. Tarkus

I guess but I do not plan to match my replacements as it stands now. (I plan to get a slightly smaller one like is in there now for aux battery in this truck because it fits nicer with cabling in that area in this OBS truck. I alway get the best main battery I can find though. I plan to get them at Sams in next week or two.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thats just not a smart thing to do. You MUST match size, CCA's, and age if your hooking direct.

7. Tarkus

Do not make assumptions that are not set in stone. It all depends on application and my dual batteries are bussed differently too and have they own charge circuit from alt that also limits back draw on main battery by design which minimizes voltage/lighting flux. Even if you hook direct it is still not a "must" do only a wise idea. This is not rocket science here. Modern batteries get along quite well in mixed combos of same general brand.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy:

So, your not hooking direct then?
    :confused:

If I see someone on the forums suggesting to someone else a procedure that is not recommended, I'm going to flag it.

9. Tarkus

Lets agree to disagree on this subject.
    :waving:

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not usually an argumentative person. But for some reason, your posts bring out the debator in me.

I'll agree to disagree, but.....I still win, right?!!

:p

11. Tarkus

I love a good debate, we are both right in our own ways.
    :drinkup:

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I guess so! :blush2:

Here is my point though.

You have a 2 identical D cell flashlights.

One has 2 D cell batteries in it.

Then you have the other identical flashlight and you put 1 D cell and 1 AA battery in it.

Turn them both on at the same time and see which one goes dim the quickest.

Thats my point. I didn't even get into CCA's or battery age.

13. Tarkus

You have a good point but where you are confused it series vs parallel batteries. Batteries in series must be same type and size while with parallel it is not a "must have" as a rule.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well, then hook them up parallel, then to the light bulb.

Your still only going to come 1/2 way between your big and small batteries capacity.

By recommending that someone else go out and buy two different size/group/age/CCA's/etc. batteries for a parallel direct hookup is just a bad recommendation. That is my point.

15. Tarkus

No, you should still get the full capacity of each battery in parrallel as their internal resistance will limit how much of the load they support transparently. Nothin will be lost, just reduced capacity from reduced battery size.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What are you saying?

Reduced capacity is a loss to me.

17. Tarkus

if you have a D and a AA battery in parrallel you will get the full amount of power that cells have but less than 2 D's because of reduced physical capacity. (maybe I should have worded it differently)

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Tarkus, your driving me crazy!
    :dizzy:

What you just posted is EXACTLY why you wouldn't want to do the same in a plow truck. And it's EXACTLY the reason I posted the flashlight anology in the first place.

Now, to throw more reality into the flashlight scenario....Take a USED D cell battery(existing truck battery) and a NEW AA cell battery (your idea of a smaller newer aux. battery) hook them in parallel. You get my point now?

19. Tarkus

No not really because a slight smaller car battiery might have 10 to 20% less capacity s about 80 to 905 less when comparing a "D" to a "AA". And the 10 to 20 percent less is 80 to 90% more than a single battery.

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Still!
    :rolleyes: