1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual batteries

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Jun 9, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I know theres probably a bunch of threads on this already, but im to lazy to search. I want a second battery to run my plow and salter, I know the batteries have to be the same and bought at the same time. Im going to run them parallel + to + and - to -. My question is should I run another wire from the alternator to the second battery? Also I was gonna have a shut off switch so I can shut the second off in the summer or should I just leave it alone? Like I said only the plow and salter would be to that battery, so it wont be used in the summer.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. No need to run a second alt wire. And no need for the disconnect.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Agreed

If you disconnect the battery for the summer you're going to kill it if you don't have a maintainer on it

4. dodgegmc1213

thanks for the info guys. ill just hook them 2 together and leave it alone

5. dodgegmc1213

Another question, what are some good batteries to look into? Long lasting and powerful enough? I got duralast gold in the truck now and is goin on 3 yrs. Just seen some reviews on duralast gold and they wasnt good. So wanna know what everyone else is running

6. dieselss

Asking what batteries is like asking what brand trk.

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Johnson controls makes a lot of them. Deka I think is the other one. They're all relabeled pretty much

There's at least 10 threads every year about them. I have advanced golds or whatever they call them

8. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I run an Odyssey. It's made by Enersys. Seems to work great so far.

9. Buck331

Buck331 Member

10. dodgegmc1213

so if they provide more power and what not then regular batteries, is there a need for dual then? probably wont hurt tho

11. dieselss

Batteries are storage. Alternators are the supply. If you alt can't keep up ( most can't) then the batts supply the needed extra. Dual batts are nice. But are nit always necessary. All up to the owner

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Odyssey used to be stupid expensive. Not sure if they still are or not

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Just get a bigger alternator and be done

14. dodgegmc1213

another question if anyone can help, but I am looking at a 250 amp alternater.
    Idle: 180 amps
    hot idle at 200°F: 170 amps
    Max: 250 amps
    hot max at 200°F: 230 amps
    I wanted to do dual batteries but if I get this should one still be fine?, but is this to much amps? While plowing im sure its great but when not plowing it seems like alot, I dont wanna blow the battery up, but if I don't need a second battery im not gonna mess with a second

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It will only put out what is needed to it's capacity. I have a 250 amp in one truck with only one battery. This is going on year five for the setup. Works great. Lights do not dim, I also have dual burn head lights, so that is 4 head lights on all the time plus 2 130 watt back up lights. I tested it when I put it in and it would do 186 amps at idle.

16. dodgegmc1213

Thanks maxwell

17. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Also do "the big 3 upgrade"... actually makes a difference. Another old trick is swap to a little smaller pulley on the alternator, but remember nothing can replace a big alternator... see if you can fit in the battery trays from a Diesel. Cables also. Cables must be in tip-top shape.
    Last batch of batteries I got for all the rigs came from Costco. Don't laugh. They are made by interstate, just cheaper. I think the ones in the truck are combo crank & deep cycle.
    In first plow truck I ran yellow top optima. Cost more but lasted about 10+ years.

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

14 x watts you run = Amperage of Alternator you need. Higher number just means recharges battery faster...

I am also looking to do second battery in Dodge. Did research last year, just never did. I looked, but like I said - last year --- Find any good deal on packages (combos of wires, fuse, clamps etc) out there??? I see some, but seem to be over-priced. Guess you could buy separate, but hell, that may add up??

19. dodgegmc1213

im just gonna get the 250amp alternator and a new battery and run that this winter to see how it does.
    majordave check delcity.com

20. dieselss

Watch delcity. I have found there prices are a tad high. Just fyi