1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landscaper 70, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Landscaper 70

Landscaper 70 Junior Member

Can anyone tell me how to wire my truck to use dual batteries? Do they both have to be connected to the alternator or can they be connected to eachother and just one to the alternator?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Do really dual batterys i run 1 optima deep cycle in my truck the thing is great plus it saved me the money and time of dual
  3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Hook the positive post on the second battery to the positive on the first battery using a heavy gauge battery cable. Hook the negative post on the second battery to the engine block or the frame using a heavy battery cable. You can wire the second battery through a isolator if you are using accessories while the truck is not running but for plow use it is not really necessary.
  5. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

is there any reason to get duel alternators on a new plow truck... i see ford offers it as an option.....
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Set up duel batteries with an isolator. It keeps the batteries from doing what's called battling battery syndrome. That is where the stronger battery discharges into / try's to equal the weaker battery. This goes on and on till both are low.
    AutoZone / Advanced will have them at like $35 for the setup.
  7. Landscaper 70

Landscaper 70 Junior Member

I will try the isolater and see what happens.
  8. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

optima deep cycle ...is that the Red or yellow?
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

10. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Why are you guys running deep cycle batteries? Arn't they only good if you run them dry? I see no need for them.

I run dual batteries. Hook them up in parallel. This will give you double the reserve capacity. I wouldn't mess with an isolator if I were you. I also run a 200amp alternator.
  11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have mine batterys pos to pos then have them grounded to the block and a cable from the block to frame. You are not using battery to run lights and such with out the engine runing like in a camper so you dont need deep cells. I got 4 years out of my Interstates they still good but didnt what to have to deal with any problem when plowing so i just switched them out.
  12. shadled

shadled Junior Member
    from SC Pa

In my Dodge, I run 2 Interstate Batteries. I have them wired into a Cole Hersey switch.. That way I can select battery 1, battery 2, or both. This is a nice setup.