1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual batteries

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by packrat69, Oct 13, 2012.

1. packrat69

packrat69 Junior Member
    from Montana

Hi, new guy here . I have a '63 jeep pickup with a homemade plow setup if I put a separate battery in the bed of the truck where the plow pump is and run a separate wire from the alternator would I still have to have an isolator or have issues overcharging the starting battery?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

why not just tie the two batteries together with reg cables?...if you do, i would suggest 2 new batteries as thery need to be the same age for longevity

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You won't need an isolator, and you don't have to worry about the batteries over charging. You do need to ground the second battery to the frame with a wire as large as the feed from the alternator, and both wires need to be sized for the max output of the alternator. You also need to run a ground from the pump to the second battery in the bed. This wire needs to match the size of the positive wire to the pump.

4. packrat69

packrat69 Junior Member
    from Montana

thanks for the info I was hoping to avoid spending money on new batteries right now as the extra one I have is different from my starter battery.

5. packrat69

packrat69 Junior Member
    from Montana

thanks for the help ,I have a 105 amp alternator so I'm guessing I'll need something in the neighborhood of a 2-4 gage cable from the alternator to the battery a distance of about 8 feet.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Number 4 would be fine from the alternator to the second battery. You really should run a wire of the same size from the second battery ground to the alternator case for best charging results

7. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

And make sure you fuse the + line at both ends.