1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual batteries vs high output alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maxximus98, Nov 29, 2011.

1. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Hi I have a 2008 Chevy silverado 2500hd. I have had an issue with plow slowing down after hours of plowing and volts dropping. My question is should I start with dual batteries or upgrade the alternator? I intend on changing the existing battery regardless but was wondering which will give me the best gain? Thanks for your responses
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I would upgrade to dual batteries. I have done it with every Chevy I have owned. All the trucks have the plow prep with the 135amp alternator. I don't upgrade the alternator until the original one is going down.
  3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I always upgrade the alternator first, that way the original can be a spare....
    I try to find a 140 to 160 amp alt..paired with a yellow top battery....great combo
  4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Dual batteries worked great for me
  5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The batteries are a buffer to your alternator. I'd start with the Batteries, then upgrade the alternator when funds are available, keeping the old as a spare.
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Next time get the twin alternators from Chev. It is like night and day. my 07 is still on it's original batteries. I run an eletric salter,plow, lights etc and never see my amperage gauge move. This helps solenoids & motors last longer.