1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries (thank you B&B)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JeepPlow18, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

When I first wanted to install dual batteries I thought it would be difficult only because I had no clue what I was doing. Then B&B stepped in and walked me through the entire install. This was almost a year ago when I wanted to put it in but somehow took me a year before I even started to put it in. I just want to say thanks for the lesson you taught me on the install:salute: Here are the pics. Batteries have each 1000 cold cranking amps and side and top posts. connected the top post to post on pos and neg. kept the stock alternator wire to original battery and put another separate wire to the other battery. Also not in the pics I got an axillary fan in all well. If you dont have one and you overheat definitely spend the money it worth it. Notice the first time I plowed (last tuesday) that it worked like a charm. Now im running at normal temp. Let me know what you guys think especially B&B:waving:

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Glad you like the new batteries...but are you keeping the cable over the fan shroud? If it were me I would want to tuck them away and route them so they are not visible and can not catch on anything.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That's where the factory routed them. The fan shroud is plastic, it would act as an insulator even if the wire did become chaffed. As long as they are secured to the shroud, I see no problems with that set up.

I do like the bling-bling gold plated terminals! :D
  4. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

is that bare wire? or does it have a coating over it, im guessing it does since you would of seen a spark the second the +, - touched
  5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

That's just odd to me that if would be from the factory that way, but that's just me.
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

only difference is fromt he factory it would have nice clips mounted to the fan shroud and the wires would be in tape with conv tubing around them.
    my ram and my f350 botht have the daul batteries and the wires do run like that
    never seen it in a jeep tho. nice job and very interesting
  7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Exactly. And yes its a clear coating on the wires. I would prefer black or something else but thats all that advanced auto had, still works great. Thanks for the comments guys.
  8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You should get some of that black plastic looming and tuck those wires inside of it Looks good though.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I've got the same setup in my truck and run the wires in the same location, i just used clips and ties though to clean things up! Definitely a noticeable improvement to the vehicles electrical system! Nice job!
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some split loom, the extra ground cable I mentioned, and a couple cable clamps and you'll have it. wesport

Running the stock alt? Planning on an upgrade there as well?
  11. wilderXJ

wilderXJ Member

looks good.

nice setup, did the same on my truck, but ordered the tray and nuts and bolts from www.lmctruck.com, they have every thing, love that place.
  12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

B&B, Thanks

Here are a few picks of the dual batteries I put in my 04 Chevy 2500 HD last week. I got the tray and everything from the chevy dealer and the rest from advanced auto. Was going to go with the red top optima batteries, but the guy at the store talked me into autocraft titanium. They were about $70 cheaper a piece, had top and side posts, same 1000 CCA and same warranty as the optima, so I thought I would save some money. Took me about an hour and a half to hook it all up. At one point got myself a nice little arc from the positive,you can see the spot to the right of the first picture above the postive:nono:. Was not paying much attention to what was hooked up already. I just need to find some heat resistant tape to wrap around the cable. It is clear, but it gets pretty hot over the fan so if any one has any suggestions of something to wrap them in let me know. Thanks and enjoy.

battery 10.jpg

battery 9.jpg

battery 8.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. Burkartsplow

some more

here are a few more and a video also. if it works

battery 6.jpg

battery 5.jpg

battery 7.jpg
  14. Burkartsplow

I can tell when I start up the truck the power it has, cant wait to hook everything up to it and see how she runs....wesport I pulled put the wires so you can see them. they are usually tucked away and tied down so nothing catches them.

battery 4.jpg

battery 3.jpg

battery 2.jpg
  15. Burkartsplow

here is a short video of a look at the set up I installed. I took all the pictures with my new phone. for how much it cost it better take good pics. well hope this video works....:waving: did not work. will try again. sorry
  16. Burkartsplow

lets try again

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-t2JskUE4w"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-t2JskUE4w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Until that one is finished processing here is a video of my two chihuahuas Pele and his son Rooney. For being Mexican they sure love the snow. They will be out there for an hour before they get cold. When i am bored i make tunnels and they just rip around the back yard...
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/otYQrIrkYwI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/otYQrIrkYwI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Good job looks good, now you should not have any problems on those frigid mornings any more :cry:
  18. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Its funny how we are running the same batteries and wires:cool:. Looks great:drinkup:. I still have to make it look neat and tie those cables down. Those pics were premature as im not 100% done yet lol. All is left is too tie them down and try and tuck them away.
  19. 02f250superduty

02f250superduty Member

why run two cables? cant the positive go from battery to battery and the positive go to a good ground on the engine or something? Just what I was thinking of doing. Please let me know if this will cause problems.
  20. 02f250superduty

02f250superduty Member

sorry I meant negative go to a good ground