1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dual Batteries for Super Duty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sefh, Dec 27, 2008.

1. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I have a 99 with V10 and K&N air filter. I want to run dual batteries but not sure where to put the second battery. I have a huge canister (not sure what it does) where I would like to put the battery. Can someone who has done this post some pics of what they did. That would be very helpfull. Thanks

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ford had a dual battery option for your truck, so you can just buy the parts from them if you want.

3. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

4. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

5. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Can't open that link. Here is a picture of my truck. Just wondering what this thing is next to my air filter??? Can I remove it? or do I have to relocate it?

DSC05139-1.JPG

6. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Am having the same problem in doing so in my 5.4. Supposedly there is a superduty kit but I cant figure where the heck it would be able to go. No room.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I will get you guys some good pics of my dual batt setup on my superduty tomorrow.

8. sefh

sefh Senior Member

That would be GREAT. Also what is that round canister? Can I remove it or do I have to move it to a different location?

9. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Isn't it a vacuum canister? Somewhere in the past this has been discussed and someone sold a kit which included moving it? I've been searching but haven't come up with it yet. I don't know why that other post didn't open and I couldn't edit it to find out, but he mounted his spare battery down on the frame.

10. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Yeah I seen that on that site but I don't want to do that. I'm affraid that with all the salt and sand around here it would corrode it. Also I go out in the woods to cut wood and would hate for a limb to sneak up there and wipe out my battery.. I would prefer to keep it under the hood where it belongs.

11. MileHigh

If you need anymore or any closeups of anything, just let me know.

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN3091.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

12. MileHigh

sorry these pics kinda suck.

DSCN3087.jpg

DSCN3086.jpg

13. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. Yours is a diesel correct? You don't have that canister do you? Your's came stock from Ford like that, right?

14. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

that looks like a stock ford powerstroke setup
    i know theres an intake kit manufacturere afe i think that sells and intake kit with a place to put a second battery right on it.
    the little canister is probably a vaccum setup for something on the truck and could probably be relocated

15. MileHigh

correct...factory setup.

16. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

Here is a AFE Stage II and dual batteries

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Round cylinder is carbon canister, fuel/emmision part, tied in to vacume system, yes it needs to be relocated not eliminated.

18. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Any suggestions to where to relocate it to.

19. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

Hey sefh, did you ever figure out where or how to mount the second battery. I have that same dopey canister in the way. I have a 2003 F-350 with the 5.4 and have been wanting to run dual batteries for a few years now. Wrangler NW has a tray kit w/wires ($420.00) and a great diagram showing where to put it..........except they forgot to mention the garbage can sized canister thats in the way.

20. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I ended up taking that canister out. I capped the hoses that connected to it. I have not had a problem (engine light or performance) after I did it. I made a mount that used the canister bolt pattern. I found some 1 1/2 flat stock and bend them to fit the area. I'll get some pics soon and post how I did it.