1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual alternator setup on ford f350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fronig, Feb 9, 2004.

1. fronig

fronig Junior Member
    from CT

ok guys, how would i do a dual alt. setup on an 86 f350 with the 6.9?? anyone know. i am planning on doind this because of power issues while plowing. what size alt. would be good to have. and would i need an isolator? i have 2 875 cca batteries

2. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

I don't think you need to go that route..Get a 3G 200 amp alt and a single batt 1000 ca and you will be fine.. you could use you 2 850's....100 amps at idle..

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Call an Automotive electrical shop. They should be able to upgrade your alternator to a higher amp rating. Add duel batteries with an isolator and you should be set. It's an issue addressed here many times this month alone.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. Nix the dual alternator setup and go for a higher amp single. Throw in a second battery (isolator optional but some prefer it) and it will cost way less than trying to fab up a bracket and find an alt that will fit your needs.

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I put a 200 amp alt. in with "0" problems works great at idle as well as plowing. My lights use to dim when raising the plow, not any more. I got mine off e-bay for 195.00, direct replacement, I mean direct. Installed it in about 1/2 hour, only thing I had to add was a 4 ga. wire to positive side of battery and additional 4 ga. ground wire to frame/firewall.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Frank

6. fronig

fronig Junior Member
    from CT

thanks a lot guys, i will buy another brand new alternator, this one is only 3 weeks old. not sure what amps it is, i will call tommorrow and find out. as soon as i get some payments for plowing in i will buy the new alternator. thanks again

jon

7. fronig

fronig Junior Member
    from CT

one more thing, i am looking on ebay right now, all i see are ones for excursions, explorers, a ranger, expi's. what would work for me and does it matter what years they are for cause they all have years next to em???

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

doesnt that have a 100 amp on it i guess you could go to jc whitney and get a 160 amp also

9. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Your truck came with a 60-75 amp unit,
    I would look for a 3g unit with a case style that would be close and mod your truck to fit. You might find a bolt in. Call some of the high output alt people. I will get you a link....

http://195.125.241.148/Catalog/Car_Fr.htm
    See if you can pick a original Part#
    You should have a 2g You need to upgrade to a 3g 200 amp of the same case style,,,slightly larger.
    http://www.highampalternators.com/Ford_3G.htm

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  10. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I buying a new f350 supercab diesel for plowing.... Should i get dual alternators ????

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Not at all. I've got a diesel also and they allready come with two batteries so your good there. You can go two ways. Eaither but a high output alternator or have an automotive electrical shop beef up the stock one.:waving:

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Most of the new trucks that i looked at don't come with dual alternators, you have to order that option. If you plan on getting a front and rear plow, i would go with dual alternators unless you use an under hood hydraulic setup. With my truck i see very little voltage drop with just a front plow, i do wish i had the dual alternator set up though. :D :D

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that option is like 400 not bad i would