1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual alternator possible?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Oct 3, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ide really like to run a dual heavy duty alternator setup on my truck if at all possible. Is there a kit available for my truck to do this? And does this kit include directions and a wiring diagram? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would look into a Leece Neville, that should handle anything you might need.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I still haven't found any bolt on kits to do this yet but I built a duel alt set up for a guy a couple years back on an '98 K3500 with a 454. It was a bunch of work but it worked great. What I did was fab up the mount for the second 200 amp alternator, but I wired it separate from the stock alt and battery. I added 2 additional batteries and wired the extra alt to those and then ran the plow wiring to them as well. So the extra alt and 2 batteries were used just to run the plow and the spreader, and nothing else. The stock alt and battery ran everything else on the truck, just like it was stock.That way, they were 2 completely independent and separate charging systems. With this set up, the plow isn't drawing any power from the truck itself, hence no dimming head lights or gages flopping around while operating the plow. The biggest issue is getting the extra alt mounted somewhere on the accessory drive with enough belt surface area to keep the belt from slipping with the hi output alt.You need the belt to wrap around at least 1/2 of the alt pulley to prevent belt slippage.

4. mcwlandscaping

B&B, i really like the way that setup sounds and would love to do that on my truck as well. I just have to find someone around here that can do it as i don't trust myself with the actual fab of the mount and install of the alt. The wiring i can do! :) When you say two additional batteries, do you mean you had three under the hood? If so where did the third battery go?

T-Man, is that an alternator brand or is that a company that makes these setups?

Thanks both of you for the responses and any help in the near future.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I left the stock battery in the original location and added the 2 additional batteries for a total of 3. The truck had a utility bed on it so I just mounted the 2 batteries in one of the tool compartments near the front of the bed.Thats where the customer wanted them so he could also use them as a connection point to jump start equipment. The additional benefit of the system being separate from the truck's electrical system was that when using it to jump other equipment, there was no fear of spiking any of the sensitive electrical components on the truck.
    Leece Neville is an alternator manufacture that makes many of the OEM spec heavy duty alternators for large equipment and fleet vehicles like ambulances and class 6, 7 and 8 trucks as well as some light truck heavy duty alternators. They're a high quality, very heavy duty alternator.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you think going with a single 200 would be plenty of juice and alot more reliable. Just asking. I find the more things on your truck, the more chance they have of breaking down. When I got my new truck, dual alts were an option, but I've never had a problem with a single, so I didn't get it. I guess you want to run lots of lights and stuff. I'm assuming you already have dual batteries.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Generally I agree with you Dave, I like thing's nice and simple too....that was the other reason I built the system....for it's redundancy. The system keeps the power load of the truck alt and batt which will tend to make them last longer, and if the plow side alt does happen to die, it won't leave the truck stranded out in the cold. The 200 amp alt I did you was a standard sized 12si series cased alt like GM's used for years, so a parts store replacement could be easily swapped in if the need ever arose..

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sound good.

10. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

juice

my question is why would you want two alternators,just make every thing work to Handel the amp draw and storage capacity you need .it the alternators are burning out ,get a 140 amp alt off off a gmc topkick make some brackets ,and it will last forever.

11. mcwlandscaping

wow, i didn't know they made single alts. with so much power, i think i'll just try to find one of those :)

B&B, if i'm ever in the area, you've gotta hook me up with that setup though :) :) :) sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for all the info guys. I'll probably have some questions about it again once i get to picking out the one i may want, probably about the compatability issues or install tips.

thanks again
    mike

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any time Mike :) ...I may do a set up similar to it on my '04 eventually. Maybe this time I get some pics!
    Glad to help Mike...just ask if you need any help or advice when your ready to do the alt swap..that's what we're here for.

13. WHY?????

You guys are nuts! All that is totally and completely a waste of Money!!!!! My truck draws TONS of power.... all electric western mvp on front and ALL ELECTRIC 16ft expanding rear plow with down pressure.

I spent well over 200 hours in that truck last winter and NEVER had the battery light even come on.....and i ONLY have a 145 amp one..... If you are having battery issues...run a second cable from the alt to the battery....do this, YOU CAN'T PUT 145 AMPS through a 10 gauge wire. So add a second wire!

If you feel the need to buy a $400 alternator, then do so, but I would try running a second wire .

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

It is not related to exactly what you are talking about. But... I put a third battery in the bed of my truck. Think of it like a watertower.

The pump (alternator) pumps the water (power) to the tower the whole time it is running. When a big draw is needed, it uses the power from the stored batteries. The more space you have to store water (power) the longer you can draw without straining the pump (alternator)

i started doing this last year and I love it. I plow with buddies that all though I was stupid because I have 2 batteries with my diesel as it is. Then with one more, I never have a problem with my lights flickering at all.

Just my $0.02