1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dual alt and batt setup

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by krazybob738, Jan 14, 2014.

1. krazybob738

krazybob738 Junior Member
    from chicago

Hello all i am new here and my name is bob:D

My truck is a 99 silverado with the 5.3L 4x4

Ok here is what i am doing!:mechanic:

I am new to plowing i bought all my stuff off of craigslist and home fabbed some stuff i was thinking of running dual batts along with dual alts (one alt per batt) and replacing all my factory cables with 4/0 cable as thats what i have on hand and doing the alt cables with 0 guage wire.

I would like to run my plow off of the aux batt & alt with nothing else on that batt just plow i think that should be enough but not sure any suggestions?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know guy did this but he looks like Christmas tree and run a plow rear blade and w 12v spreader

If you running just a plow I think you might be wasting money doing 2 batt and 2 alt
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the only thing youd be gaining is a few more amps off the aux alt and batt. but if you added an aux batt and a high output alt youd be fine without all the headaches of trying to fab up the 2nd alt.
  4. krazybob738

from chicago

Good morning

Ok here is a little back story and my thinking!

I bought an 89 f350ing off craigslist last year after using it a couple times the truck started on fire.

So i have this this thing sitting in my driveway all burned up so i figured why not put this setup on my silverado.

One thing i noticed with the f350 was i always killed the alt the batt gauge would drop to zero and as soon as i let the plow stick go it would rebound. Also some times the truck would die and i would have to jump it so with that i figured i would set the plow up with its own system that way if anything happened i could just stop and go home.

As far as fabing up some stuff i already have to fab up all the plow mounts to the truck seeing as the plow is an older one and my truck is newer.

I also have a spare factory alt for this truck and i am doing all this on a budget so i am just trying to make due with what i got so i figured what the hell why not!
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not you ask. Imo to much of a headache to isolate one system. On a budget, well a h.o. alt is like 200-300 and the second batt is whatever it is it your area. If you have a pile of scrap in your driveway why not scrap it and take the money for the new parts for the new trk
  6. scooter97

scooter97 Member

Chances are this truck has a AC and some bells and whistles, with this being said it probably already has a decent sized alternator on it. If it were my truck I would add a second battery and call it good. The battery tray can be purchased through your local Chevy dealer. Just Google this and you should be able to find a list of "items" needed to add an additional battery.
  7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

And you can't go with an under sized battery. Whether single or double battery set up.
  8. krazybob738

from chicago

Good evening

I see where you are coming rom the more i think about it the more i dont wana fab up the brackets.

I dont really have to many bells i have power mirrors power locks and power windows and a sound systen (a little one) i would like to add a tonnoue cover a light bar some rear plow lights the plow and a removable winch.

As far as my batterys go i would like to replace my main as it is 5 years old and on its way out as it is and my second battery i was gonna do a deep cycle. thats was the plan as i was gonna run two seperate systems but now i am not sure if i wanna run with the two batterys and an isolater or match up to batterys and connect them together.
  9. scooter97

scooter97 Member

when I do mine on the K10 I just planned on matching the batteries. The off road and factory set ups usually use an isolator, from the research I have done and what we are using them for it would be fine without one. If I am incorrect someone please chime in.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

an isolator isolates one batt from another and you will
    only be drawing power from one batt.

ditch the isolator.
    buy 2 batts at the same time, same size, group, cca etc etc..
    Wire them together
    ground the - and connect the + to the other batt or to the +lead off of the alt.

One 100amp or more alt will run your set up just fine.
    then up grade all your wiring for your charging circuit so the amps can flow
  11. Murfbe

Murfbe Junior Member

alt & batt set up on my 1985 K20

I am running a 1985 K20 with a 350cid. All I did was upgrade to a 130 amp alt & install two matching batts with 800+ CCA neg to neg & pos to pos I keep my terminals clean and always have a spare alt belt on hand and the tools to replace it where ever I am..