1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DT466 Using Oil And No Smoke

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kimber750, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The guys I sub for have a 90 International with a DT466 that they use as a salt rig. This thing is using 2 1/2 gallons of oil every 100 miles. No smoke, No leaks. Anyone have any idea where this oil may be going? :confused:

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

check the coolant?

3. kimber750

Sorry forgot to mention that we did check the coolant and no oil in there. We have dumped 7 gallons of oil in this thing in the past 2 days. Just can't figure out where it is all going.

4. kimber750

Talked to a friend that is shop manager for Freightliner, he seems to think the oil is going into the fuel tank. :eek: Seems that leaking injector seals can let oil into the fuel return lines. So guess I will check the tank for dark fuel.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Interested. Have you look for wet spot on engine and transmission?

Can you remove oil cap while it running. Does it puff or steady smoke out.

Had one diesel engine it would drink 2 gallons every 1000 miles of drive. No leak when park. Turn out it leak oil when under load like drive.

Check fuel filter to see if it look dark black. Try sniff to see if it normal diesel or it mix with oil.

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

check your air filter, if it is plugged up it will cause the engine to use oil. I work at an International dealer and have fixed many trucks that were using oil just by replacing the air filter.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. kimber750

Only thing wet under the hood is by master cylinder from broken brake line that has been repaired. Haven't tried running with oil cap off. Gonna check the fuel tomorrow. Just want to know where all this oil is going. It is using about 2-3 gallon every 100 miles. That will get expensive quick.

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok hope you find out

I know that T444E with bad injector o-ring would dump oil in fuel and turn fuel filter to BLACK after running 1 day.

Or bad oil cooler that let oil go in coolant.

How many miles/hours on it?

9. kimber750

Think it only has 90k miles on it. Should know tomorrow what the issue is.

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Oil being pumped into the fuel tank is common, we had several state trucks (DT's) do this...

11. kimber750

Checked the full tank today and it looks like used motor oil, completely black. Well just to figure out if I want to tackle replacing injector seals or tell them to take it somewhere.

12. clark lawn

from NE ohio

looking at $500-$700 + parts to have it done in a dealer, depends on exactly how the engine is configured.

13. kimber750

It is not my truck, I don't mind helping them out but not sure if I want to risk messing something up. If it was my truck I wouldn't think twice about tearing into it.

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Also could be a bad turbo.

15. kimber750

How could a bad turbo pump oil into the fuel tank?

16. clark lawn

from NE ohio

if it was a turbo you would see oil in the exhaust.

17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Pay the dealer and be done with it. I do most of my maintenance but not when it comes to engine or tranny work. Once in a blue moon paying the dealer for that kind of repair isnt too bad.

18. kimber750

I told him I was not interested in fixing it. If it was mine I would do it, but not my truck and don't want to worry about something going wrong. First quote is $639 labor plus parts. Waiting to hear back from to other shops.

19. roccon31

roccon31 Junior Member

how can it be injector seals on a 1990 dt466? that engine has mechanical injectors and no oil anywhere near them. i just replaced my injectors on my 1993 on monday. 1993 250hp dt466 in an 1984 s1900 dump truck. injectors removal and replacement on this engine is a one hour job, tops.

it would have to be a fuel supply pump or injection pump issue since that is the only place the engine oil and the fuel meet. no?

20. kimber750

Sorry thought I changed that already, truck is 2000, not 1990. So it does have the oil fired injectors. It should be headed in to the shop Tuesday.