1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dry ice blasting

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Andy's Beast, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

Has anyone used dry ice blasting instead of sandblasting a plow? Any thoughts to how well it works and/ or what it costs?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it sounds expensive to dry ice blast something
  3. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

It's slower and more expensive - the equipment is outragousely expensive compared to sandblasting so you could expect the rates to be higher. A CO2 blaster can run in the $50K mark. Ice blasting works great for restoring delicate surfaces and fire restoration jobs.
  4. x.system

x.system Senior Member

It is expensive compared to sand/slag or other similar medias. Its designed to be used on site so there is little cleanup. I did some research into this type of blasting this summer when we were getting away from sand. Dry ice was not a good alterative for what we do. Dry ice is non-abrasive so even if you did do a plow I don't know if it would get the rust out and it would have to be prepped for paint as well. Media blasting does the prepping for you with the right grit so once its blasted its ready for primer/paint or powdercoat.

We also do soda blasting which is non-abrasive and the only time I will get setup for soda is when I'm doing fiberglass or a car body.
  5. ZTucker

ZTucker Junior Member

Yes, a key to dry ice blasting is how gentle it is. Dry ice blasting has been used to clean smoke damaged historical books and dinosaur bones, but it is powerful enough to clean medical equipment. It is an amazing technology. A huge factor is the cost to run it is more than soda blasting (as timberseal noted), but there is no secondary waste cleanup.